Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye?  (Read 5884 times)

idspuds

Sockeye?
« on: January 05, 2010, 06:56:05 AM »

I caught this fish in October on the Chilliwack and am pretty sure it was a sockeye.  I turned it lose immediately after snapping this picture.   It had a clipped adipose fin and was about 18" long.

Anyone know for sure what this is?  I have asked many people but no one is positive. I really thought I knew my fish but this one has me confused. 

Thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Sockeye?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 07:52:05 AM »

Yep, sockeye salmon, Cultus Lake bound.

Here's some more information on these adipose clipped sockeye salmon from Cultus Lake:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/070917_1.html

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »

I remember that fish as an egg ....

Banny

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:31:09 AM »

Here is a question,

This salmon season I caught a clipped Sockeye in full spawning colors well above where Cultus creek enters the vedder.  Are there sockeye populations in the upper vedder or was this fish just lost?

J

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:37:17 AM »

There is supposed to be a small population of sockeye in Chilliwack Lake. Probably where that fish was headed.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:20:01 PM »

A little late to the party!

mykisscrazy

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 12:34:55 PM »

The clipped sockeye that you caught in the Chiliwack river upstream of the Sweltzer creek confluence, would have been a Cultus sockeye. I was part of a small telemetry study on Cultus sockeye in if memory serves me ...in 1996. A good portion of the fish missed the turn to Sweltzer and continued  quite a way upstream where they would hold off another creek mouth. Some would hold there for days while others would be there for a day or so. All would head back downstream and try again. Some found Sweltzer and some did not. It all depended on which side of the river they were swimming up. Some actually went to the fence at Cultus and then went back to the Vedder and then came back again. This was also the the last year they returned "normally".

Banny

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 12:37:52 PM »

The clipped sockeye that you caught in the Chiliwack river upstream of the Sweltzer creek confluence, would have been a Cultus sockeye. I was part of a small telemetry study on Cultus sockeye in if memory serves me ...in 1996. A good portion of the fish missed the turn to Sweltzer and continued  quite a way upstream where they would hold off another creek mouth. Some would hold there for days while others would be there for a day or so. All would head back downstream and try again. Some found Sweltzer and some did not. It all depended on which side of the river they were swimming up. Some actually went to the fence at Cultus and then went back to the Vedder and then came back again. This was also the the last year they returned "normally".

Thanks for the info, hopefully he swam downstream when he was released :)

mykisscrazy

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 12:38:39 PM »

One other thing the Sockeye that return to Chilliwack Lake are quite an early run timed sockeye. THey are in the Chilliwack River July and maybe August. By October you will not find any Chilliwack Lake Sockeye in the Chilliwack River...and probably not alive in the Upper River or Lake either.

Banny

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 01:13:52 PM »

The Sockeye I caught was on October 3

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 02:32:31 PM »

Hi MC.  Do you recall the water flow from Sweltzer Creek when you did this study? ie. was it very low I wonder, meaning less homing water for these fish to find?  I'm curious as to how often over the years this has occurred.   Probably the most studied stock of sockeye in the world and still we know so little. 

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »

Caught just above Sweltzer creek this past year on a silver colorado.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »

A little late to the party!

Here's a December 22nd sockeye out of the Stamp... wt(heck)?  Never heard of sockeye running that late before, except mention of Chehalis sockeye in early Dec.

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 10:32:54 PM »

mykisscrazy,

Curious about the chilliwack lake portion of the sockeye run. Do these fish spawn below chilliwack lake or do they move through the lake and up to the chilliwack lake inflow streams?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 08:32:06 AM »

Chilliwack Lake sockeye spawn on beaches and in the upper Chilliwack River (aka Dolly Varden creek), all the way into Washington state.  An estimated 60,000 returned a few years ago.