Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Okuma Reels Aren't All That Bad  (Read 2636 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Okuma Reels Aren't All That Bad
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:18:34 AM »

In the past I've beaten up Okuma product quite badly but today I want to say publicly that Okuma can be as good as anything on the market by following three simple rules.

1-Don't put line on it. ::)

2-Don't get it wet.  :P

3-Don't use it for fishing. ;D

rln

• I'm a llama!
Re: Okuma Reels Aren't All That Bad
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »

typical negative sam salmon troll. Knowing of the thousands of reels sold in the BC market place it's easy to see that he has a grudge against Okuma or has no real back gorund information on just how many reels have probems. Okuma, Shakespeare, Pflueger, Penn , Daiwa, Abu Garcia, Mitchell, Zebco quantum all have a warranty return rate that is very comparable. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 11:00:18 AM by rln »

johnny

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 12:04:46 PM »

Hey, it's a message board and his message is that Okuma sucks.. so be it. I have had good success with the epixors, but heard the new ones aren't holding up the same as the older. I also know someone else that is switching over to ALL okuma levelwinds for sturgeon and salmon as he's had great longgevity with the ones he's been using while guiding..

I've had very poor luck with 6500's in the past and got slagged for saying so, but still won't own any as a result.. and yet others swear by them. Point being, everyone's experience varies and regardless of the varied performance we are all entitled to like(or hate) whatever gear we choose.

:P
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 12:39:21 PM »

I have two okuma Fly reels and two spinning reels. Never a problem with any of them, and i also fish my gear hard.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 01:08:04 PM »

Johnny
it would be a little more infomstive if he said model X of brand X is poor, crap or whatever. You just did and it makes it easier to talk about thatn just a plain blanket statement slagging a product line for what would appear to be no particular reason.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 01:13:58 PM »

I totally agree with RLN.  Have a bad experience with some equipment?  Share the info and explain why.  Then you can have an opinion on a brand.  Making snarky comments to get attention is about as productive as another flossing debate.   Oops!  Did I just say that???? :o ;D ;D ;D

BTW, I have an Okuma Aventa V1002.  Decent little pin for a starter reel and it was cheap. Landed some pretty big springs on it last year as well as little fish.  Upgrade your bearings on it and you're set to go.
President Club S. C. & P.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 01:21:07 PM »

You guys take the internet much too seriously-a little more fishing time might help your mood. ::)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 02:14:21 PM »

I wish i could spend more time fishing... @ the office now reading on fishing stuff -_-

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 04:43:15 PM »

I have an Okuma Integrity 7/8. I have beaten the crap out of it and its still going strong. I use it mainly for coho and have landed a few springs on it as well. Its been in the water, and even some mud and still no problem with it. Just rinse it out and its good to go.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

allwaysfishin

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 05:43:13 PM »

I have been putting okuma reels through thier paces... big time. I own 2 Catalinas, 2 convectors, a EB50 baitrunner and a centerpin. The catalinas are 2 years old, never serviced, just cleaned and lubed, I use these reels for sturgeon and Hali and they are ROCK solid....They are running on my charter boat in full time operation on the west coast. I threw my 18 month old Penn 330 in the trash after the worm gear quit for the third time....
I also have 7 years experience in the sports fishing retail industry and have whole heartedly recommended the okuma product to customers.... no one ever came back to me to say i gave them bad advice.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:47:35 PM by Rodney »

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 10:08:59 PM »

Something to be said for simple, cheap reels.  If it breaks, you don't cry to replace it.  I'm not going to feel too much pain when my C-4's end up croaking a few years from now.  But I am going to hurt when the calcutta's go TU, (mind you, I'll probably get 2-3 times more life out of them). 

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 11:08:51 PM »

Allwaysfishin', i'd have taken that 330 off your hands. The work great if you take the worm gear out of them to start with. I will say they are one of my least favorite reels to service.