Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish on April 10th - Could have been better  (Read 2884 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Squamish on April 10th - Could have been better
« on: April 11, 2005, 12:59:52 AM »

We did an afternoon trip to the Squamish today. It could have been better, not because I got skunked while almost everyone else caught fish, but because of what happened on the way home.

We took FishBC's Swamp Donkey up as for many many years before he was even on FishBC, I have promised him that I would show him some river fishing. The timing has already been wrong in the past but this month was the month. Last week, we managed to entertain him with a couple of steelhead and a few cutties. Today bull trout was on the menu.

The day started out with overcast sky, then the wind came, drizzling started, then heavier rain. Swampy likes the rain he said, as he doesn't get any of that in the Interior.

Anyways, to sum up the result, a few dollies/bull trout. Chrome Mykiss got one, Swampy got one, Itosh was the professional star today and landed five. ;) All fish were on the fly. Minnow patterns have been working great lately as fry are swimming arond in the system now.

Photos

On the way home around dusk, just after I was thinking "better slow down as it was very misty", a deer jumped straight out in front of the car. In split second, we hit it, mostly on the hind legs, and it was flicked up like a piece of cardboard, flew past my side window and landed on the other side of the road. Good thing it did not land on the wind shield and crush either me or Chrome Mykiss, would/would not have been writing a different report tonight. The deer's hind legs were broken, and had already crawled into the bush as we got out of the car. I've been on the phone trying to get people to put it down, will see what happens tomorrow. The car, needs a new hood, and has various other broken parts as well. Has anyone dealt with ICBC regarding animal collision before?

Anyways, pretty good trip, just kind of expensive.

apprentice

• I'm a llama!
Re: Squamish on April 10th - Could have been better
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 02:58:09 AM »

Just think, if you had thought of speeding up instead of slowing down in that split second, you could of got some fresh road kill.   ;D   Glad to hear everyone's ok though.  Sorry about the car.  Sounds like a comprehensive claim to me but, don't know for sure. 

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 07:11:44 AM »

Rod, at most, you should be lloking at the dedectible for that accident.  Depending on your insurance, thats $100-$500 bills.  Lets hope you didnt chintz out on collision and go for the cheaper plan ???

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 07:45:29 AM »

Rod-
Your claim is definately a comp claim...one thing ICBC will want is proof, did you take any pictures or is there still hair stuck in your vehicle?

Mike

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 01:30:35 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. After some reading this morning and phone calls, it is a comprehensive claim and I'll just have to pay for the deductible as gooey said, which is $300.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 03:41:17 PM »

Oh my Gawd, Rodney killed Bambi  ;D Glad everyone is safe. Think of all deer hair you could have had. ;D

House Arrest

• A river flows through it
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 08:27:39 PM »

Way to go, guys. Nice photos, but sorry about the deer.
Do you think it'll still be any good in Brackendale and above during the first week of May? A buddy of mine from TO is coming for a visit and I want to show him some nice fishy spots.
Thanks
House
Days spent fishing count not against one's life.
- K'ung-fu-tzu

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 10:15:02 PM »

Oh my Gawd, Rodney killed Bambi  ;D Glad everyone is safe. Think of all deer hair you could have had. ;D

When Itosh pulled over two minutes after I got hit, he first said:

"Really?? You hit a deer??"

Then:

"Did you get any deer hair?"

Typical flyfisherman. ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 10:19:12 PM »

Way to go, guys. Nice photos, but sorry about the deer.
Do you think it'll still be any good in Brackendale and above during the first week of May? A buddy of mine from TO is coming for a visit and I want to show him some nice fishy spots.
Thanks
House

House Arrest, that depends on freshet. The river maybe high and dirty by then. May is also when everyone heads up to interior for lake fishing. :) If you do decide to go up, watch out for bears around that time.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 11:14:53 PM »

Hmm liver, it would have made good spread on my toast.

Anyways, about that, Iron Noggin posted some good pointers on what to do with a partial roadkill on FishBC, worth reading:

http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?showtopic=19218

BKK also just emailed me and told me the area is heavily used by deer and some elks during spring.

We also started seeing signs of bear in the valley a couple of weeks ago.

Ok, a question for the hunters or bear biologists. There were lots of big holes being dug by the bear with salmon carcasses laying around. Why? Are they just too hungry after the winter and with no berries around they are digging for rotten salmon to eat?

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 07:24:23 AM »

Any success, Rodney, in getting someone to put the animal out of its misery?
"One man of courage makes a majority"

kokish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 11:23:19 AM »

Rod,
had the same happen to me, when report it
make sure you tell icbc tha the deer hit you
not you hitting the deer
talking from experience

b

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 01:46:23 PM »

Any success, Rodney, in getting someone to put the animal out of its misery?

The CO has been notified and hopefully he will stop by today to take care of it if he goes up to the river valley and check licenses.

Thanks kokish, the report went smoothly. I did say the deer hit my car. ;) It's in the shop now, getting some lovin'.

By the way, those CO's up there do a fantastic job. I've been checked twice in the last 6 outings or so. Remember your reg up there. :) Catch and release on everything, trout, char, steelhead. Bait ban, single barbless hook.

The garbage problem up there is slowly emerging too by the way. It was especially bad after the Easter long weekend.

We fished Good Friday at one spot and there was a party going on. Itosh and I went back on Sunday, only to find this.

Fishersak and I walked a portion of the Cheakamus a few days later, and collected about 50 cans and bottles.

It's a pretty river that's making a slow comeback now, let's not ruin it.