Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Fishing in the City" program  (Read 2818 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
"Fishing in the City" program
« on: April 11, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »

April 12 2008

Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC

FRESHWATER FISHERIES SOCIETY OF B.C. LAUNCHES “FISHING IN THE CITY” PROGRAM

VANCOUVER – Lower Mainland residents will be able to enjoy three unique urban fishing opportunities this spring and summer thanks to the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC’s new Fishing in the City program. “We know that sometimes it’s difficult to get out of the city to go fishing, so this year we’re bringing enhanced fishing opportunities into the city,” said FFSBC Vice-President Brian Chan.

As part of the Fishing in the City program, the FFSBC will be conducting enhanced trout stocking activities at Rice Lake in North Vancouver and Lafarge and Como lakes in Coquitlam. These repeated stocking activities will ensure that the three lakes offer excellent fishing opportunities for shore-based anglers throughout the spring and early summer, and again in the fall. Working in partnership with local governments, the FFSBC will also erect special on-site signage providing additional information to anglers.

“While the society stocks dozens of lakes across the Lower Mainland, we hope that these three lakes will offer new fishing opportunities for young and novice anglers or those who want to get back into the sport” said program coordinator Stacy Webb. “Children under the age of 16 can fish for free, and we’ve even reserved fishing at Como Lake for children and seniors.” Adults can purchase a freshwater licence at their local tackle shop or buy one on-line at http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/.

For fishing tips and tricks and lake stocking information in the Lower Mainland please contact the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery Visitor’s Centre at 604-504-4716 or visit us online at www.gofishbc.com.

-30-

For more information contact:

Stacy Webb
Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C.
(604) 816 1532

Yesterday's Lafarge Lake stocking can be seen in this video

oddjob

• woof woof
Re: "Fishing in the City" program
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 05:57:09 PM »

The trout that was stocked at lafarge lake usually take about a week to 10 days before they are hungry or are these trout underfed on purpose for this program ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 11:16:15 PM »

"Fishing in the City" program was launched today by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC at Rice Lake. 40 girl guides and scouts joined Natalie and Mike for a Learn to Fish session, followed by the release of 350 rainbow trout and a brief fishing session. Here are some photographs. A video of today's event will be available tomorrow.

Fishing rods rigged and ready to go

Fishing in the City, ready to be launched

Learn to Fish instructors Mike Gass and Natalie West explains fish ID techniques to curious onlookers

FFSBC hatchery truck, filled with rainbow trout that are ready to be released

Learn to Fish props for proper catch and release instruction

Newly released Learn to Fish guide book

GVRD'S new floating dock at Rice Lake

Casting instruction prior to the fishing session

From left: Brian Chan and Stacy Web of FFSBC, and Ralph Sultan, M.L.A. (West Vancouver-Capilano)

Releasing rainbow trout

Time to fish at last!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 07:18:05 PM »

Video of yesterday's event can be seen at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXrw-_HdcJQ

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:43:46 PM »

I think I'm using the same setup as those guys (guides). :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?