Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wally Hall Jr.Memorial Steelhead Derby  (Read 4977 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Wally Hall Jr.Memorial Steelhead Derby
« on: November 20, 2016, 01:33:52 PM »

Tickets are now on sale here in Chilliwack at Freds' Custom Tackle, I would think at the Abbotsford store too. Picked mine up on Friday. Derby starts Dec. 1.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Wally Hall Jr. Memorial Steelhead Derby
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »

I plan on catching the first one as I am looking now.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 04:14:43 PM by chris gadsden »

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Wally Hall Jr.Memorial Steelhead Derby
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 08:21:34 PM »

Is it not time to end this needless blood-sport which promotes the killing of Steelhead. I realize these are factory fish and they are there for the taking but really - isn't it time to put this to rest?

No disrespect to the Hall family. Sorry if anyone's first thought is the lack of respect.

I'm really referring to all Stealhead and Salmon kill derbys.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:26:22 PM by Rieber »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 08:35:30 PM »

I choose not to participate in derbies, but doesn't the money from this one go back into the river???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 08:39:23 PM »

$20 per person. Total proceeds go to the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition, which further has DFO to match the donations before spending the total amount on habitat restoration on the Chilliwack/Vedder River watershed. Just because you buy a ticket doesn't mean you have to participate in it, I pay for mine and consider it as a donation to a good cause.

dobrolub

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 08:41:22 PM »

No disrespect to the Hall family. Sorry if anyone's first thought is the lack of respect.

I'm really referring to all Stealhead and Salmon kill derbys.
Hm... I think Hall's a little different. I agree on other Derbys, like whatever company derby, etc. Take what you need from the river, enjoy the scenery and quietly go home. Contests are stupid.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »

As a rule I agree with you Reiber … derbies tend to bring out the worst in people.

But this one is so different; first it’s hatchery fish that are targeted and we all know they are there for harvesting. Second, as Rodney stated, at least 50% of the money goes right back into the Chilliwack River for steelhead (and as a byproduct, other salmonids) restoration projects.

For example, this past summer a major gravel restoration project was undertaken at the outlet of Chilliwack Lake, an area I and buck (the only 2 people who monitor these spawners … ??? ) consider the most important spawning habitat for early run steelhead in the entire upper river.  20k for this project came from this derby. 
Another site augmented with gravel, the Middle Creek bridge project, again paid in part from this derby, had several pairs of steelhead using it last spring.

Like Rodney, I will be buying my entry fee and I haven’t fished steelhead for 4 years.
I encourage all anglers who care for wild steelhead to get on board with this derby, even if you don’t fish for them.  Your $20 will be well spent.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 06:52:30 AM »

As a rule I agree with you Reiber … derbies tend to bring out the worst in people.

But this one is so different; first it’s hatchery fish that are targeted and we all know they are there for harvesting. Second, as Rodney stated, at least 50% of the money goes right back into the Chilliwack River for steelhead (and as a byproduct, other salmonids) restoration projects.

For example, this past summer a major gravel restoration project was undertaken at the outlet of Chilliwack Lake, an area I and buck (the only 2 people who monitor these spawners … ??? ) consider the most important spawning habitat for early run steelhead in the entire upper river.  20k for this project came from this derby. 
Another site augmented with gravel, the Middle Creek bridge project, again paid in part from this derby, had several pairs of steelhead using it last spring.

Like Rodney, I will be buying my entry fee and I haven’t fished steelhead for 4 years.
I encourage all anglers who care for wild steelhead to get on board with this derby, even if you don’t fish for them.  Your $20 will be well spent.

Excellent points Dave and Rodney - this one is different. Any event where the proceeds go directly back to the river or to a specific wildlife project is okay in my book. I'll have partially retract my statement then - like that's possible (once it's out, it's out). I still don't like the private derbies which just take, leave a big mess and give nothing back to the river or community in return.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 10:25:52 AM »

Excellent points Dave and Rodney - this one is different. Any event where the proceeds go directly back to the river or to a specific wildlife project is okay in my book. I'll have partially retract my statement then - like that's possible (once it's out, it's out). I still don't like the private derbies which just take, leave a big mess and give nothing back to the river or community in return.

Hatcheries are put and take fisheries get out there and have some fun.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »

Hatcheries are put and take fisheries get out there and have some fun.
So true, if it was not for anglers that like to fish for steelhead and keep the odd hatchery the steelhead would most likely disappear as anglers are the ones that really care.