Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a "waterproof" jacket, waterproof again  (Read 5189 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Making a "waterproof" jacket, waterproof again
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:23:41 PM »

I have a Pacific Fly rain jacket (that I purchased used from a member on this board) that is billed as being waterproof and breathable, yet waterproof it is not.  ??? http://www.pacificfly.com/product_detail.aspx?PID=J91&cat=Garments&subcat=Rain Jackets

Any suggestions for products that I can use to restore its purported waterproofedness?

Electroman

Re: Making a "waterproof" jacket, waterproof again
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:38:26 PM »

I use nikwax on my rain gear. After a few times of washing I will run the stuff in the dryer and it repels the water just like it was brand new.

52buick

• These pretzels are making me thirsty!!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »

All sorts of rain repellent restorers in the marketplace (ie: Grangers). Usually can just throw some in the washers with the jacket and then into the dryer.  There are some spray on's also but the washer kind is much more economical.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:39:57 PM »

Camp Dry... best stuff I've ever used.
Even works well on re waterproofing waders with leaky seams.

mko72

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »

I use nikwax on my rain gear. After a few times of washing I will run the stuff in the dryer and it repels the water just like it was brand new.

X2

Animal Chin

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »

ATSKO wash and re-proofer (make sure it's the spray bottle and not the aerosol one) .. you can get it in the hunting section of Walmart (found in Bellingham though) or 3 Vets near Cambie and Broadway had it last year.

It's dirt cheap. The wash is good for down and anything you don't want to have fragrance (bear country, hunting etc). NikWax works too, bit pricier, but you can find all at Mountain Equipment Co-op etc. Though keep in mind, you also have to wash it really well first.

You basically have to wash the jacket first with something that has zero brighteners, additives, fragrance etc. This wash for "performance" fabric doesn't contain anything that will interfere with the vapour releasing properties found in the membrane of your waterproof breathable fabric. Then spray it with re-proofer, let it hang dry, then put it into the dryer at as high of heat as the jacket can tolerate to activate the water wicking properties of the re-proofer.

I'm assuming it's a waterproof breathable product (ie. goretex, eVent or a version thereof).

Apologize if you know this already, but the idea behind WPB fabrics is such:

the pores in the membrane are so small that water from the outside doesn't get in, but water vapour from your sweat etc gets out. A lot of times, the pores get gunked up with dirt, sweat etc, so vapour can't get out and wets out from the inside and people think it's actually soaking from the outside rain. Even if water isn't beading off like new, a lot of WPB jackets rarely wet out from the outside.

Hope this helps.

Actually, try washing it with an appropriate detergent and then putting it into the dryer at as high heat as you dare. It's the heat that re-activates the water-wicking feature and clear out the pores.. thereby making it waterproof again. If it's a high quality WPB jacket, that should be all that needs to be done.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:01:10 PM by Animal Chin »

jet520

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 12:24:27 AM »

What a coincidence. I actually have the exact same jacket and just finished reapplying the DWR repellent five minutes ago!

Sorry to hear yours leaks. I've had mine for nearly 5 years now and fish hard rain or shine and it has yet to leave me wet, even after a full day of fishing in the rain. I'd check for holes because no amount of spray is going to stop water from entering if holes are present.

So to refresh the DWR all you need to do is wash the jacket - hand wash or machine with powder detergent only or you can try one of the many DWR detergents out there.

After washing, with garment wet, spray it down with DWR. I used Revivex. After liberally spraying the whole garment, paying particular attention to the shoulders (where rain will hit the most), throw it in the dryer on Medium heat for 40 to 60 minutes. Then you're good to go.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:27:30 AM by jet520 »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:33:15 PM »

Thanks for the replies, everyone, through which I learned a ton about waterproofing a jacket. I must admit that I thought waterproofing was permanent; never knew that you had to wash, and then treat, waterproof outerwear. (Better add that to the "what is a beak" thread :) )

I was especially interested in your post jet520, especially considering that you had just finished treating the same jacket. No holes in the jacket, just seepage; no doubt that treating it will fix the problem. Where have you purchased Revivex?

jet520

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »

Thanks for the replies, everyone, through which I learned a ton about waterproofing a jacket. I must admit that I thought waterproofing was permanent; never knew that you had to wash, and then treat, waterproof outerwear. (Better add that to the "what is a beak" thread :) )

I was especially interested in your post jet520, especially considering that you had just finished treating the same jacket. No holes in the jacket, just seepage; no doubt that treating it will fix the problem. Where have you purchased Revivex?

Hey clarki,

I bought mine off amazon.ca because I live out in the east Kootenay's and far from major stores. I would be confident you can find it in your area quite easily.

http://www.amazon.ca/Gear-Aid-36507-ReviveX-Spray-on/dp/B004QGYW2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348953397&sr=8-1

Hopefully that will stop the seepage. Let us know how it works out!