Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jig heads: to paint, or not to paint?  (Read 1884 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Jig heads: to paint, or not to paint?
« on: November 03, 2020, 11:10:24 AM »

I fish unpainted jig heads. I catch fish but I wonder how my production would change if I were to use painted. By only using unpainted, I have no control group to compare my results to.

Was watching this vid last night and I noticed the yellow jig head paired within the straight black jig. You often see jig head colours matching the colour scheme of the jig. To me, that served little purpose and I was content using unpainted. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_D1TpybuKAc

I was re-thinking that last night with the pairing of yellow and black. It seems to me the fish is triggered by the jig action but the differently brightly coloured head helps give the fish a target to strike.

If you are a serious jig user, I’m curious, do you intentionally use painted jig heads? Does it make a difference? What are your strategies?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Jig heads: to paint, or not to paint?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 11:28:16 AM »

Just on the topic of jigs - where's a good place to buy bare jigs? i like tying them myself...thx

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 12:04:42 PM »

I buy mine from member Gooey.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 01:59:20 PM »

So...i'm the opposite.  I buy painted jigheads and use them until the paint falls off.

I believe when the paint falls off I get less strikes both for salmon in rivers and trout in lakes.

*This may just be an excuse I use internally because I'm not catching fish.

*It also may be because usually when the paints falls off I switch up jigs so I have way less time fishing with unpainted jigs.

Those points made, if the fishing is hot I don't think colour or painted makes much difference.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 09:22:15 PM »

So...i'm the opposite.  I buy painted jigheads and use them until the paint falls off.

I believe when the paint falls off I get less strikes both for salmon in rivers and trout in lakes.

*This may just be an excuse I use internally because I'm not catching fish.

*It also may be because usually when the paints falls off I switch up jigs so I have way less time fishing with unpainted jigs.

Those points made, if the fishing is hot I don't think colour or painted makes much difference.

First time ive heard of using jigs in Lakes for Trout.
Cool.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 10:12:23 PM »

Sounds like we are two sides of the same coin, but not a lot of time spent on the flip side to compare to.

I know there are some good jig twitchers on this site, but I also get that those same twitchers might want to keep their cards close to their chest!

I welcome other comments. And I won’t tell anybody😀