Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagging  (Read 4509 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Snagging
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 05:31:07 PM »

Realistically I dont think anything is going to happen about flossing. Becuase it is such a huge economic revenue, with people coming from all over the world to fish BC Rivers, and huge $money$ being spent here. I believe this is why nothing is being done about flossing, because the people in charge care more about the intake of $money$ and not enough about our fish stocks.
The Bigger The Better!

fishfinder

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 07:52:27 PM »

I just dont understand why DFO cant send down a guy on a weekend like this to the KWB and start handing out some serious fines.  Its illegal to attempt to foul hook a  fish so that should be enough to issue about 40 tickets...nevermind the obviously foul hooked ones that some people keep...Why cant they, or wont they, do this???  I dont get it...they cant spare ONE officer???

The officer could spend a whole day there but he would probably write one ticket. People are not stupid. The fishermen would stop what they are doing and behave once they see an officer, but as soon as the officer is gone it would be business as usual.   

The fishermen at the KWB are mostly beginners and  unsophisticated when it comes to fishing but at least they keep every fish they kill. We may not agree with the way they fish because they don’t short float like we do but at least they are happy to take the fish home even though some of the fish are dark and ugly.  I can’t say the same for some sophisticated roe fishermen who have left some female chum and Chinook in the river with their stomachs slit open so they can use the roe to target the more desirable coho and steelhead.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 08:35:21 PM »

fishfreak, you get the duck tape while big steel and I pin Rick down....seriously dude...ban flossing socks!?!  Thats a little extreme.  I personally would hope that we could be responsible enuff to employ fishing techniques APPROPRIATE tot he river and run we are fishing.
Bottom line though, if we cant find a "happy balance" then I am with rick.

Hey Gooey don't get the tape yet !!!  :o I guess what I am trying to say is I don't want to be a hyprocrite, I hate watching the idiots rip their lines two three times every cast, I hate the fact that they snag fish in the belly and in turn spook the whole pool, but I also get sick of people comparing these idiotic so called fishermen to the experienced short floaters who take one or two trips to the Fraser to harvest sockeye !!

If it takes a full closure of the Fraser to stop the snaggers on all the other sytems then I am for it !!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 02:54:33 PM »

Thats exactly my point rick, there is a time and a place for everything and due to grey areas in the regs and conplacency on the part of DFO (poor enforcement), to the geneeral fishing population, flossing has become and acceptable fishing practive on any river.

If DFO clamped down on the issue, it wouldnt be that hard to turn things around.  I am not sure if they care though and I am pretty sure they don't know that we do.

I am sending DFO an email with some thoughts on how things are evolving hopefully they will get the idea that most sports fishers support a ban on using flossing for any fishery other than fraser sockeye.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2006, 03:41:37 PM »

Is it just me or did a guy in that video say "Salmon dont bite" ::)
[

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »

ban the snagging on the frazer..that's the root cause of the problem...