Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Local stocking next week?  (Read 8708 times)

adecadelost

Local stocking next week?
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:22:42 PM »

So looking back on the last couple of years it looks like the local lakes started to get their spring stockings on March 9th.
Does this mean we could start to see some hatchery trout late next week?
Would be nice to dust off the cobwebs on the boat and tune things in before the interior lakes thaw.  ;D

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Local stocking next week?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:40:04 PM »

last two years the stockings werent done until after spring break. they used to get done the week before spring break. i think last year didnt even get done until into April :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »

I am pretty sure it has alot to do with water temps and accessibility to the lake.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

adecadelost

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »

Whonnock Rolley and Mill all received their first batch on the 9th last year. And Rice Como Green Timbers and Lafarge all got a dump the next week.
That along with the milder temperatures being forecasted got me wondering if we'd see that same schedule this year.

jacklam999

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:20:16 PM »

Whonnock Rolley and Mill all received their first batch on the 9th last year. And Rice Como Green Timbers and Lafarge all got a dump the next week.
That along with the milder temperatures being forecasted got me wondering if we'd see that same schedule this year.

so larfarge lake will be stock next week?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »

The exact week when spring stockings begin has not been scheduled this year. Stocking time is influenced by a few environmental factors, the hatchery generally aims to have some stockings done for the spring break. I've asked the assistant manager at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery to provide an update for you when he has the information.

kalex60

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »

Do all the lakes get stocked in the same week

colin6101

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »

Not usually, as Rod stated there are several factors involved, one important one is water temperature. Certain lakes don't get stocked until much later as they need to reach temperatures where the fish will survive following the stockings. Typically all the fishing in the city lakes do get stocked before spring break though within a week or two of each other.

GoFishBC

• Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 09:13:19 AM »

Hi Everyone,
Glad to hear all the interest around the Lower Mainland Stocking Program carried out by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.  We are getting geared up to begin our lake stocking program and hopefull the first stockings will go out the week of March 11th.  If water temperatures are not favorable this timeline may be delayed by a week or 2 at most.  The stocking schedule for the fishing in the city lakes is aimed at providing angling opportunity right to the end of June.  We are also looking forward to the addition of a new Fishing in the City Lake, stay tuned for more on this soon.  We will be participating in the Sportsman show at Tradex this weekend so stop by and talk to us about our programs, we would like to hear from you all.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 09:18:04 AM »

Great info, thanks GoFishBC!

jimmywits

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »

Hi Everyone,
Glad to hear all the interest around the Lower Mainland Stocking Program carried out by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.  We are getting geared up to begin our lake stocking program and hopefull the first stockings will go out the week of March 11th.  If water temperatures are not favorable this timeline may be delayed by a week or 2 at most.  The stocking schedule for the fishing in the city lakes is aimed at providing angling opportunity right to the end of June.  We are also looking forward to the addition of a new Fishing in the City Lake, stay tuned for more on this soon.  We will be participating in the Sportsman show at Tradex this weekend so stop by and talk to us about our programs, we would like to hear from you all.
Thanks for the heads up, see you all at the show!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »

Nice update, thanks GoFishBC. The big rainbow trout (aka steelhead) is so hard to hook, perhaps their little cousins can give us a few head shakes at the stock lakes.  ;D

4x4

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »

Quote - GoFishBC,

"Hi Everyone,
Glad to hear all the interest around the Lower Mainland Stocking Program carried out by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.  We are getting geared up to begin our lake stocking program and hopefull the first stockings will go out the week of March 11th.  If water temperatures are not favorable this timeline may be delayed by a week or 2 at most.  The stocking schedule for the fishing in the city lakes is aimed at providing angling opportunity right to the end of June.  We are also looking forward to the addition of a new Fishing in the City Lake, stay tuned for more on this soon.  We will be participating in the Sportsman show at Tradex this weekend so stop by and talk to us about our programs, we would like to hear from you all."

Does GoFishBC post where and when broodstock are put in local lakes? I didn't see it on your site?

colin6101

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 12:20:09 AM »

They usually do post it up there. Look for a 2N genotype stocking and usually around 3000 gram size.

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 08:34:02 PM »

Looking forward to having some fun. :)  Thx Rod, Thx Fish BC
"Looking forward to addition of new lake." Hmmmmmm
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:44:54 PM by trout80 »
fishing is life, the rest is just details.