Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help required for explaining total daily limits.  (Read 2868 times)

jacked55

Help required for explaining total daily limits.
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »

OK so i know some of you experienced guys are gonna get a laugh at this one, but i want to make sure i am totally understanding of the law as it pertains to amount of salmon catch allowed per day for salmon.
So as i read it, for example, the daily limit for salmon in the tidal portions of the fraser river for salmon are 4 pink, 4 sockeye, 2 chinook, 2 coho, 2 chum, but the "aggregate" limit is 8? ( disregarding sizes as those are very clear to understand )
So does this mean that in THEORY, you could take home in one fishing outing say, 4 pinks,3 sockeye and 1 chinook?
Thanks in advance for the clarification guys.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Help required for explaining total daily limits.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 09:04:06 PM »

the daily limit is 4....so any combination of all those salmon making 4 in total i.e. - 2 sox and 2 pinks, or 2 sox, 1 pnk and a chinook....however if your camped over night and your fishing for a couple days you can have up to a 2 day limit no more. so 8 fish in total
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »

Aggregate daily limit for all species of Pacific salmon from tidal and non-tidal waters combined is 4, not 8.

mike89

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:25:31 PM »

I think he is reffering to possesion limit, which I believe is 2 days limit.  Simply the most unprocessed fish one can have on them is 2 days limit or 8 fish of the appropriate sub species.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 11:03:57 AM »

Possession limit is always twice the daily limit ( so for 2+ days of fishing, 8 fish is acceptable) but the aggregate daily is 4

jacked55

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 11:25:14 AM »

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES GUYS, I APPRECIATE IT AND AM NOW BETTER INFORMED. HOPEFULLY THIS ALSO HELPED SOME OTHER NEW GUYS WHO WERENT SURE.

Oilcruzer

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 01:25:13 PM »

There's an important item that many often mess up (at least Region 2) when they read the daily limits...
There's a retention timing from one hour before to one hour after sun up and sun down.

I had to explain (somewhere else) that this DOES NOT MEAN you can fish then.  The regs are a little messed but they clearly say you can't fish before sun up or after sun down.
Hoping to save someone a ticket.  BTW - don't park in the No Parking Zones either.  Despite what you hear.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 01:48:41 PM »

There's an important item that many often mess up (at least Region 2) when they read the daily limits...
There's a retention timing from one hour before to one hour after sun up and sun down.

I had to explain (somewhere else) that this DOES NOT MEAN you can fish then.  The regs are a little messed but they clearly say you can't fish before sun up or after sun down.
Hoping to save someone a ticket.  BTW - don't park in the No Parking Zones either.  Despite what you hear.

Hmm. I’m not sure that this statement is universally correct.

If you look at page 10 of the Freshwater Regs: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1011/fish-synopsis_2010-11.pdf

MOST WATERS ARE OPEN
Most waters in B.C. are open to fishing for some species 24 hours of the day, every day of the year.

Then if you look at the salmon supplemental regs: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

There are only a few systems which are clearly restricted to “Daylight Hours Only” :  Chehalis, Vedder, Harrison

Which I take it to mean that other systems do not have that restriction?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 02:12:12 PM »

You need to consult the Fisheries Notice for the area you wish to fish in.

For example: FN0518

This is also a reminder that fishing for salmon in the waters of the Fraser
River in Region 2 are open during daylight hours only. Consult your local
newspaper for sunrise and sunset times.

"Daylight hours" is usually defined as: FN0754

Fishing is allowed during daylight hours only from one hour before sunrise to
one hour after sunset.  Check your local newspaper for these times.

Or: FN0755

Day light hours only refers to one hour before sunrise to one hour after
sunset.  Reference to sunrise and sunset means the times for those events as
calculated by the National Research Council of Canada (http://www.nrc-
cnrc.gc.ca/eng/services/hia/sunrise-sunset.html) and published daily in the
Kamloops Daily News.

That's why when fishing on the Vedder later in the year, you have to wait to start fishing early in the morning.
Guys will get there early (in the dark) to hold their spot but they aren't supposed to start fishing until 1 hr before sunrise.

Oilcruzer

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 02:25:49 PM »

Now I am enlightened. 

(those regs aren't confusing at all) ;D

rickjames_2

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 12:54:26 PM »

That's why when fishing on the Vedder later in the year, you have to wait to start fishing early in the morning.
Guys will get there early (in the dark) to hold their spot but they aren't supposed to start fishing until 1 hr before sunrise.

I have been there, on the vedder, can get a little awkward. 4 or 5 people jest standing, waiting for the first person to break the ice, er, water...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.