Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meeting on the proposed new fisheries act  (Read 1750 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Meeting on the proposed new fisheries act
« on: January 05, 2007, 05:06:34 AM »

In early December, Fisheries and Oceans Canada tabled a new federal Fisheries Act in parliament (Bill 45). The Minister, Loyola Hearn, asserted at the time that this new, revised and updated Act was developed following extensive consultation with stakeholders including environmental organizations, but we all know this did not happen.

The new proposed Act, has basically been written to make most of Fisheries and Oceans' new policies (like EPMP) concerning fish habitat management legal and, in our view, is designed more to appease industry lobby groups and facilitate land and resource development than to protect habitat.

We cannot sit by idly while this Bill works its way through the House. The Bill requires scrutiny and demands comment.

The David Suzuki Foundation is prepared to convene a one-day gathering of interested west-coast ENGO and First Nation representatives and interested private citizens to discuss the proposed Act, find out what the changes mean and to map out the best strategy to deal with this new Act.

FYI, for those of you who have not yet seen it, the Act can be view on this page.

If you, or your group, have already reviewed the Act and are willing and prepared to make a brief presentation to the gathering as a whole, please let us know ASAP.

Meeting Details 
Date: January 17th, 2007
Time: 8:30am - 4:30pm
Location: YWCA (Weldwood Room) - 535 Hornby Street, Vancouver

Beverages (Coffee, tea, Juice) and snacks will be provided. You will be responsible for your own lunch.

Please RSVP as soon as possible.

Contact Information 
Organization: David Suzuki Foundation
Name: John Werring, M.Sc., R.P. Bio.
Phone: 604-732-4228, ext. 245
Email: jwerring@davidsuzuki.org

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
Re: Meeting on the proposed new fisheries act
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:12:08 AM »

Can anyone attend this meeting? Or, is there no room? I have no intention to make a presentation, but would like to support any efforts that come out of this meeting.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 08:50:12 AM »

From my understanding, if you are a concerned individual, you are invited to attend and be informed. You just have to send an email to John to confirm your attendance.

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 12:29:19 PM »

Thanks Rodney.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:39:21 PM »

In his next life, I hope Lokota Hearn comes back as the sea louse he really is.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

norm_2

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 08:34:39 AM »

Rod, are there any summaries of the Act?  Thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 04:34:20 PM »

Norm, I haven't seen any summary of the act, sorry. Chris may have gone through some of the documents that we both receive in emails, maybe a summary is somewhere in there. I haven't had a chance to take a look thoroughly. :-[

This is also a good opportunity to remind and encourage people to join a sportfishing affiliation that can represent you. Obviously most of you cannot attend these meetings. A representative from your affiliation can, and should be able to bring your concerns to the table, summarize what is discussed for you. It is a much more efficient and effective way to make some differences with a small amount of annual fee. Groups that some of you may wish to consider include the Fraser Valley Salmon Society, BC Federation of Drfitfishers, BC Federation of Flyfishers, BC Wildlife Federation, etc.