Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Langley Bars  (Read 6042 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Langley Bars
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:53:12 PM »

I took a ride out to two-bit , Poplar and the bars further up River Road in Langley. I thought the sockeye opening would have brought out more people and that there might be some sockeye around. There were very few fishers and the ones I talked to had had a very quiet morning. Is it worth trying these bars for sockeye or are the commercial guys getting them first ? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Langley Bars
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 03:02:31 PM »

It is very difficult to catch Sockeye in the lower part of the river as it is too wide.
It may also be because the commercial guys have cleaned out the river for the next couple of days.

I remember a few years ago having to time my visits to the river around the commercial openings.
When there was an net opening on the lower part of the river, I would wait a couple of days to let the river fill up with fish again.

ICA

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 07:36:33 PM »

Normally after a commercial opening, you need to wait about two days, depending on where you go, before it is worth the while. these commercial guys literally clean out the river when there is an opening.

ICA

salmonhunter71

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 08:21:34 PM »

So the commercial opening happening from the 9th to the 12th is really going shut down the river? I was really hoping to take most of next week off, maybe I should reschedule my vacation to the following week of the 16th? Any advice?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »

You should be good for the first couple of days as they normally net in the lower part of the river - maybe up to Ft Langley.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 07:46:21 AM »

the only commercial fishery in the river is on tuesday for 3 hrs. the rest are in johnstone st. and juan de fuca. that will effect the following weeks fishery as they are about 5 days away from the fraser.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 09:54:26 AM »

It is very difficult to catch Sockeye in the lower part of the river as it is too wide.
It may also be because the commercial guys have cleaned out the river for the next couple of days.

I remember a few years ago having to time my visits to the river around the commercial openings.
When there was an net opening on the lower part of the river, I would wait a couple of days to let the river fill up with fish again.

So best bet would be to move way up river chilliwack to hope stretch where the river narrows?
If not bottom bouncing, still going for chinook, are there bars to avoid that will surely be plugged with bottom bouncers? I've never been out during a sockeye opening

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 11:41:36 AM »

Never been out in a sockeye opening  :o  Any bar that is accessible by foot will be elbow to elbow with the flossers. Best bet is if you have a boat, you can fish areas not available to the landlocked angler.
This is my first year out bar fishing in over 10 years, when I did go it was always with an uncle for the coho runs in the fall. I'm new to the whole combat fishing....have all this gear at hand and want to get back into fishing regulary again...so been going to river flows etc. sounds like I may want to avoid all the bars until they close the sockeye run. no boat here unfortunately

ali2pali

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 12:11:37 PM »

Can anyone suggest a decent area to try and catch a few sockeye this week on the Fraser? No secrets need be posted, any well known spot will help...I've never been up there fishing so any info is appreciated. :)

Thanks

BBarley

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »

Here's a tip, hike.

I know there is lots of private/Indian land along the river, so you have to avoid crossing that, but you'd be amazed where you can get on rivers if you want to stretch your legs out and hike for a good spot to yourself.

Keep in mind that sockeye typically travel no further than 20/30 feet off shore unless they are pushed out by someone/something.

ali2pali

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »

Here's a tip, hike.

I know there is lots of private/Indian land along the river, so you have to avoid crossing that, but you'd be amazed where you can get on rivers if you want to stretch your legs out and hike for a good spot to yourself.

Keep in mind that sockeye typically travel no further than 20/30 feet off shore unless they are pushed out by someone/something.

Sounds good to me...I'm def fine w/ a little walking. Just not sure where to start! Is pretty much anywhere on the river good? How about around golden ears bridge?

BBarley

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »

I can't speak for down in the Langley/MR area of the Fraser as I'm under the impression that it's tidal water and has very little current.
With that being said, I wouldn't know which lane in the river they would follow......
In a river with decent current, try finding something in the river that would force the fish to concentrate on the way up, maybe a riffle that meats with the regular flow.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 06:33:08 AM »

There isnt enough flow in the lower river to snag Sockeye.