Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River Springs  (Read 1519 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Stave River Springs
« on: July 20, 2006, 08:40:30 AM »

Is there a summer run of Chinook in the Stave. The fall has been good to me in the past never wet a line there before the middle of September . Is it worth a try now or should the Fraser and Vedder be my rivers of choice.

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River Springs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:25:11 AM »

No - I wouldn't waste my time targeting Springs in the Stave. Low numbers and for some reason the Springs look pretty beat-up in the Stave.

During the Summer your best bet is the Fraser. These Springs have a long way to travel and tend to stay clean well into September with the odd descent fish into late October.

Vedder Springs also tend to turn to Spawn colours unusually quick. I find that with the Coho as well. I tend to think the clean fresh water really kicks their morphing into high gear. By August I've always found that the quality of flesh really drops off on the Vedder Springs.

There are always the exception but in general, I find the Fraser Springs to be the cleanest the longest.

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 09:36:04 AM »

In the fall I got a few that were like dimes outta there but yes they do tend to be darker than other rivers . So there are summer Chinooks in the stave? . Just low numbers ? . I get sick of burning 40 bucks in gas driving back and forth to the valley and was looking for a change of scenery we all know how scenic the banks of the Stave are .  ;D And the fact that a guy would have the hole river to himself makes it appealing to me not a big fan of shoulder to shoulder fishing . There are a few spots with some good flow would bar fishing with a Spin n Glo be affective ? . Or a float with a Colorado under it ? . Or bar rig with roe ? . Or spoons  ? .
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 09:39:14 AM by legend »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 05:45:03 PM »

Personally, I like to catch fish so I don't like the "needle in the haystack" type of fishing - at least not for Springs. I don't target Springs in the Stave any more. Just not enough of them there for me to go after. I'm just spoiled with the amount of action and fun in th Fraser.

Fraser fishing is far more exciting for me. Hook the fish, dodge the boats ad watch for shallow bottom while trying to land your fish - good stuff.

Anyways for the Stave - use roe right now in the deeper sections - you know the drill. You can rattle large spoons in tailout sections or thinner water - I've had good luck doing that in the Fraser, Stave and Vedder for Springs.

Like I said, I wouldn't waste any more time in the Stave but if it works for you then Good Luck.