Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fluorocarbon  (Read 11314 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Fluorocarbon
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »

Airflow G3 Flouro is my go-to for fly fishing. For drift fishing I use P-Line flouro.

Preliator

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 09:03:28 PM »

Preliator - nail knot an 8-10inch chunk of 12lb mono and then do a double surgeons knot in that mono and you will have made your own loop connection. I say 12lb because you said that was the breaking strength. I use 25-30lb on tips with 20-30lb breaking strength and have never had the tip snap on me but i have had the loop bust apart or off leaving me a nub of mono.
[/

Thanks, Hook, that's what I figured, but wasn't sure due to the different thicknesses of the tapered tip and the mono. Do you like to use a dab of Aquaseal or anything else on your knots?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 10:08:08 PM »

--If you don't lube fluoro before tightening it will most likely break... no matter the brand.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 11:59:06 PM »

--If you don't lube fluoro before tightening it will most likely break... no matter the brand.

I smear a little chap-stick on the unfinished knot before I tighten the knot completely. Works great. I received this tip years ago from an old friend on the banks of the Mighty T.  ;)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 01:09:03 AM »

I i did use anything i would rather use UV Knot sense on my knots because its slightly more flexible than Aquaseal but aquaseal is adequate but not necessary

I only use Frog Hair flouro and only fishing trout on lakes. i have never found a time when i needed it on a river even though i own some 12lb for swinging but it breaks easily so i dont use it  >:(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »

-I use UV knot-sense, mainly to smooth the knot when fly fishing so the knot will travel through the guides if using a long leader.
-Can use on connector mono to fluoro on spin or cast for similar purpose and to protect the knot if using slip weights.
-It will still break if the original knot is not lubricated when tying... this is the most common cause of unexpected breaks often blamed on the line being used.
-

Carich980

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »

Tied on a foot section of 15lb mono off the sink tip and loop connected it to the 12 lb Fluoro. It worked a lot better managed to get 3 chums ( All C&R ) and only broke off on 1 giant spring about 50+?? Broke off at the fly not the loop so i was doing something right. Thanks for the help I'll use this method from now on.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 12:23:50 AM »

glad to hear it worked out for you  ;D

when you can replace that 15lb with something heavier like 25-30lb line as the heavier line helps turn over your leader and will take alot more abuse before breaking. 15lb will stretch easier causing it to break faster. I fished the same peice of 25lb i looped for about 10yrs before it finally busted open, no idea the fish count on it but it was alot and with springs up to 40lbs  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Carich980

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »

Awesome thanks, I'll do that too.

iCemAn

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »

I only use Frog Hair flouro and only fishing trout on lakes. i have never found a time when i needed it on a river even though i own some 12lb for swinging but it breaks easily so i dont use it  >:(

I 2nd that. I only use my fluoro on stillwater. Unless you are trying to target spooked Coho in clear water, probably not a need to setup with fluoro on the rivers. If you are, only the last 18-24" or so if you are long lining with a floating line. Sink tips I just taper mono, 15 to 12 to 8/10 depending on what I'm targeting and water clarity.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 07:54:15 PM »

Anyone ever try Berkley Vanish flouro or Spiderwire flouro?
It ain't the roe bro'

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »

Anyone ever try Berkley Vanish flouro or Spiderwire flouro?

Stay away from Berkley Vanish. Probably the worst fluorocarbon on the market.

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 06:16:36 AM »

All flouro is NOT created equal.

Maxima makes some strong flouro, check it out. 

Where is Maxima flouro available-I have bought the line in the USA but I have never seen the line here-maybe I was not looking hard enough. Do any Chilliwack outlets sell the line?

Regards,
harley

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 07:20:11 AM »

Harley not sure about Chilliwack but A and N sells it in Vancouver.

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »

Harley not sure about Chilliwack but A and N sells it in Vancouver.

I sent them a note and yes they do sell the item in very limited sizes and their prices are totally out of sight. They quoted a spool 27 meters for $12.00--They can keep it.

Regards.