Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink fly fishing on the Vedder.  (Read 9883 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Pink fly fishing on the Vedder.
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:15:10 PM »

Hey fly fishermen/women,
I am going to be going to the Vedder Canal to do some fly fishing for pinks, and I am just wondering if I would need to put on a sink tip?

Thanks Nicolas.

Banny

Re: Pink fly fishing on the Vedder.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:25:40 PM »

Yep, but it depends on which speed of water you are fishing.  Ranges anywhere between a clear intermediate tip and a type 8 tip.  Also depends if you are fishing weighted or unweighted flies.

J

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:05:09 PM »

Thanks. :)

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:51:03 PM »

they are fun on the fly ;D ;D ;Dhad a blast today. i used a fast sink tip and it worked well. best success was with a pink an silver fly. small ones.gl

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »

one more thing, they are in great shape too.almost  all the fish i caught were chrome still and had sea lice ;)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:10:23 PM »

Thanks Rhino, I just stopped by to see what was happening on Tuesday and there were fish everywere. Everyone was getting them. And all of them I saw were crome.
Thanks guys for the info, much appreciated. :) ;D

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 11:21:43 AM »

Does it matter much what time you hit the river?  Is first light best, or are the pinks biting all day?  Also has anyone kept and ate any pinks lately from the vedder, are they any good, or only for smoking?

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »

Does it matter much what time you hit the river?  Is first light best, or are the pinks biting all day?  Also has anyone kept and ate any pinks lately from the vedder, are they any good, or only for smoking?

early morning has a much more consistent bite on the fly.tehy were even taking all the different coho flies i tied on. it didnt matter. I had my last take at about 2pm on the fly.I did see the gear fishers get hook up almost every cast but i dont think the were hooked in the mouth all the time. the gear guys using little blades did well through out the day. At one point the fly bite completely stopped and I changed to a small silver blade and within 3 casts we had a fish. The fish I got yesterday were great! I had one on the bbq last night. I dont have a smoker so I just kept 2 for eating. they were silver with an ocean green tinge on the back. all females and had sea lice.T he males did not look so good. I noticed that the ones i caught on the blade sitting i the pools were not in great condition. the fly caught ones were in a little faster moving water and they were beautiful fish. The blade didnt produce for me in the slightly faster water yesterday, but i didnt try for too long either.

cheers. hope that helps ;)

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 02:47:25 PM »

Thanks for the tips Rhino, i think i will head out Sunday or Monday to chuck some flies for the pinks in the vedder, still haven't caught any on the fly in the fraser yet and the commercial openings have dried up most of the fish so its upstream now i guess.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 03:34:08 PM »

Probably gonna see you on the water Lawsch. :)

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »

Just my two cents, if we don't get some rain soon, the Vedder will drop even lower, especially in the canal.  So if you fish in the canal, fish the deeper slots, or towards the banks which have nice dropoffs.   Early morning would be best,  but if you cannot do that then fish later in the day. Once the pinks hit the Vedder, they don't stay fresh very long, as they have reached their final destination and will spawn within a few weeks.  Also with the low water,  fish in that area tend to get a bit spooky as the questionable display of fishing methods tends to put them down.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »

How far up is too far up? Is the tamahi crossing too far?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »

There will be pinks up that high, but the better quality fish are usually  found in the lower sections of the river. 

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 09:34:21 PM »

They say that there is rain tonight. So that should be good. :)

koko

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 10:48:59 PM »

Every day is a different ball game when it come to fishing. If you want to keep the pink salmon don't go further then crossing bright