Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floating Line or Sinking  (Read 4093 times)

troutslayer78

Floating Line or Sinking
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:48:33 PM »

Just a quick question and hopefully you can help me out, when fishing the stave-sloughs of the fraser would you use floating line and a 9 foot leader or sinking line?
I have tried the full sink line but was woundering what everyone else would recommend
thanks for the advise...
cheers....
TS
Living the Dream.......

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Floating Line or Sinking
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:57:46 PM »

im assuming you are targetting Cutties & possibly whitefish?? If so then i would use a floating line but also take a couple sink tips with you(type3 & type6) because sometimes you gotta get the flies down to them but usually the floating with a 9foot or longer leader is all you need. Try using weighted flies also  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

skibumAB

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 12:36:20 PM »

I like using Scientific Anglers Quad tip. You get 4  fifteen foot tips, a floating, a clear intermediate, a fast sinking and an extra fast sink tip.  The new ones have welded tips that run thru the guides smoothly and are very easy to change.  You also dont need an extra reel or spools if you want to change lines.

troutslayer78

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 01:34:09 PM »

I like using Scientific Anglers Quad tip. You get 4  fifteen foot tips, a floating, a clear intermediate, a fast sinking and an extra fast sink tip.  The new ones have welded tips that run thru the guides smoothly and are very easy to change.  You also dont need an extra reel or spools if you want to change lines.

so would i just attach this "tips" to the backing line or would i need still the full lenth of floating fly line and just attach the tips as needed?
thanks for your help
cheers..
TS
Living the Dream.......

skibumAB

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:38:20 PM »

Sorry the main line is a 75 foot floating WF line, so adding on the 15 foot tip you get a standard 90 foot line :-[

troutslayer78

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »

cool thanks.....
TS
Living the Dream.......

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 06:48:55 PM »

the Quad tip system is the same thing as the Versa tip system. I think almost all fly line namebrands have their own take on the multi-tip system  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/