Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Fishing WOW!!  (Read 2965 times)

vinyllab

• I'm a llama!
Fly Fishing WOW!!
« on: August 28, 2007, 07:37:33 PM »

Hello all,

I havent been on here for about 3-4 years. I moved to Alberta and thought fishing was dead. I recently had the chance to learn fly-fishing and took an 8 hour float down the Bow River in Calgary. It was amazing and the rainbows fought like Coho. I have now been excited about fishing again and am coming back to the vedder to fly-fish mid Sept for Coho. Can anyone tell me the difference in setup to fish for Salmon. I have been on the Bow for the last 2 months straight(everyday) and would like to know if the rig would be the same!!

Cheers

Jeremy

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Fly Fishing WOW!!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 07:57:23 PM »

Hello all,

I havent been on here for about 3-4 years. I moved to Alberta and thought fishing was dead. I recently had the chance to learn fly-fishing and took an 8 hour float down the Bow River in Calgary. It was amazing and the rainbows fought like Coho. I have now been excited about fishing again and am coming back to the vedder to fly-fish mid Sept for Coho. Can anyone tell me the difference in setup to fish for Salmon. I have been on the Bow for the last 2 months straight(everyday) and would like to know if the rig would be the same!!

Cheers

Jeremy

What rig are you using? Unless your flyrod is a 7 or 8wt it wont be enough.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 08:48:27 PM »

Hello all,

Cheers

Jeremy

It could be the same.  Most people fish streamers for coho... For example, last year around october we fished slow (almost still) water using 15 to 25 foot sink tips with various coho streamers, and had moderate success.  However, you could also try to nymph cohos using egg, shrimp, or flesh patterns (or many others I bet).  To do this you could try to find coho holding in moving water and dead drift a weighted fly over them.

If you want real action go for chum or springs.  A coho fights well for its size, but you can't compare it to a fish that weighs 15 to 40 pounds.  For springs I found nymphing to work really well, and for chums swinging streamers was most effective.

When are you going out there?  Maybe we will be on the river at the same time  ;)

vinyllab

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 08:40:53 PM »

So I have been on the bow everday......... learning the lingo...... nymphs, streaming........... one thing I have learned so far is nymphs constantly produce..... It doesnt matter what time of day... they bite........ Now.. I have also been told I am not "dry fishing"........ can someone explain the difference

David_R

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 03:32:11 PM »

when the flies underwater it's wet
when the fly floats on the surface it's dry