Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly trolling patterns  (Read 9037 times)

FishOn36

Re: fly trolling patterns
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 06:06:19 PM »

Have any of you guys trolled a Royal Coachman? I'm new to fly fishing and I'm thinking of trying that on a spinning rod with one of those adjust-a-bubble floats since I don't have a fly rod setup (yet :D) How would I go about setting that up?

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 12:11:10 AM »

Have any of you guys trolled a Royal Coachman? I'm new to fly fishing and I'm thinking of trying that on a spinning rod with one of those adjust-a-bubble floats since I don't have a fly rod setup (yet :D) How would I go about setting that up?

Why not?

I have Trolled a Coachman before and they work.

I would just tie on the fly and add some split shot on the line 18-24" from the fly.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

FishOn36

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 12:18:04 PM »

Why not?

I have Trolled a Coachman before and they work.

I would just tie on the fly and add some split shot on the line 18-24" from the fly.

Rick

Alright, I picked up a couple coachmans yesterday size 10's. Is that sufficient or should I have gone bigger?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:19:52 PM by FishOn36 »

wizard

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 05:34:28 PM »

fishon, this is a surprisingly good combination.  when I was a kid coachmen behind adjusta bobber was my go to setup.  great from shore, or trolling!

FishOn36

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »

fishon, this is a surprisingly good combination.  when I was a kid coachmen behind adjusta bobber was my go to setup.  great from shore, or trolling!

I'll give it a try tomorrow if I'm able to get out on the water  ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »

Try and observe what is on and around the water and then use an appropriate fly.
If you dont see anything then start with a leech as there are allways leeches.
Get yourself a book and carry it with you like Brian Chans Stillwater Strategies.
This book has taught me a lot and i never go out on the lake without it.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »

Try and observe what is on and around the water and then use an appropriate fly.
If you dont see anything then start with a leech as there are allways leeches.
Get yourself a book and carry it with you like Brian Chans Stillwater Strategies.
This book has taught me a lot and i never go out on the lake without it.

I carry a vegetable strainer about 9" around in the truck box...goin' to a new to me lake later this morn...the strainer comes out and maybe gives a hint on whats in the lake...;))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

cohojoe

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »

Some fly fisherman showed me what was working when all the others were not getting a bite on any pattern.
He was using a  Stimulator dry fly down deep.   He also had a swivel which prevented the twisted so often associated with big flies trolled.     So I tried it.   Wow.   I am now a fan of deep trolling really big flies  both  dry or wet.    I use something called a steelhead fly pattern  Jock Scott,   Winters Hope,  Black Dose,  and  some really big trout flies like the  Stimulator,  Kiwi Muddler Minnow,  Really big  Doc Sprately  any color.     

Strip out all your fly line ( sinking )  then 50 pulls of the backing and troll erratic,  slow,  then stop.   Reel in slowly.   Be ready any time you stop or make a wide turn.    Post your results here.    We need to know if this is then way of the troller in B.C. lakes.   You will find me on Valentine or Horse doing this.

cohojoe

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 09:59:07 AM »

Sorry for the bad spelling.  Need to get out fishing;  spending too much time in the city.