Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Powerbait?  (Read 6185 times)

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
Powerbait?
« on: September 04, 2004, 09:21:26 AM »

When I lived in Saskatchewan, I could buy some Powerbait that I can't seem to find here.  I'm not sure how to best describe them, but they were a package of yellow swimming "tails" that were impregnated with Powerbait scent and flavour.  The idea was to buy some "heads" (painted yellow lead balls with hooks coming out of them), hook a tail onto a head, and fish with it.  I found them to be extremely effective trolling lures back home.

I can't find these at Canadian Tire or Wal Mart.  If I go to a fishing store, do I have any hope of finding these?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re:Powerbait?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 11:23:37 AM »

i've seen them around. but i don't think the demand for them here,  is as high. if you go back to canadian tire you can get one of their staff to check in their computer. if any of their other stores carry them, they'll let you know.

i know i've seen them at berry's bait and tackle, but i'm sure any other shops that specialize in angling, will carry them.

Alex015

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 12:08:25 PM »

ive seen them in canadian tire in white rock, are you talking about mr.twisters, they come in doulbe and single tails

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 12:30:42 PM »

Thanks.

No, I don't think I'm thinking of Mr. Twisters.  I found a link to the specific product that I'm looking for:

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/Detail.cfm?PassProductInfoId=722&PassPrevious=1113&PassLevel=3

I'm wondering if these aren't popular in BC, because possibly they aren't very good lures for the species out here?  They worked good for jack and walleye in Sask.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 12:57:14 PM »

yeh ive seen thoese everywhere...fishing store, canadian tire.

Alex015

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 12:59:31 PM »

yeah they're called mr twisters i hvae some, got them from canadian tire in white rock

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 01:50:55 PM »

Oh, didn't know that's what they were called.  I must just be going to the wrong Canadian Tire.  I go to the one in Coquitlam on Lougheed & King George.  They have tons of different powerbaits, but none of those.  I'll have to try another one.  Thanks!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 10:17:00 PM »

If you live in Coquitlam, try Babcock's

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 10:28:44 PM »

power baits are weird.  i find what works in some lakes or rivers,  may not necessarily work in others.  even if you're fishing the same species.  

one of the reasons why, is because some lakes may contain wild fish, while others are stocked.  the power bait would obviously have to immulate what the fish is eating.  whether it be insects, or pellet feed.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 11:35:41 PM »

west coast fishing tackle on hastings has them

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2004, 08:29:08 AM »

Thanks!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2004, 05:17:39 PM »

hey Zaphod, what exactly are you targetting, that makes you feel you need these power bait? or is it just   personal preference (sort of a comfort item)?