Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho lure rod  (Read 6978 times)

KarateKick

Coho lure rod
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:52:40 PM »

I am trying to learn the factors to consider when choosing a rod for tossing lures from the beach to catch coho (or pinks or flounder).

If you had these, which one would you bring for that purpose?

Option A:

Length = 9'
     Action = Fast
     Power = Medium Heavy
     Line wt = 8 - 12 lb
     Lure wt = 3/8 - 3/4 oz

Option B:

Length = 9'6"
     Action = Fast
     Power = Medium
     Line wt = 8 - 12 lb
     Lure wt = 3/8 - 3/4 oz

Option C:

Length = 10'
     Action = Slow
     Power = Medium
     Line wt = 8 - 17 lb
     Lure wt = 1/4 - 1 oz

Thank you!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Coho lure rod
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:38:54 PM »

Option B

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:30:04 AM »

I'm a sucker for slow rods but most will go with B.
The faster the action, the quicker the rod will return to its resting position.

96XJ

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »

Option B , but i would prefer a longer rod for the beach

ankey

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 08:57:12 AM »

'B' for me

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »

I would also go with B.

Something like the  Fenwick MODEL # HMX96M-MFS-2.

A medium power may be a little over powerful for beech coho say off Ambleside, but it will provide the flexibility to catch other larger fish if needed, say if you happened to hook into a smallish chinook.  :)

KarateKick

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 03:53:38 PM »

Honestly, I've been eyeing Riebers spinning rod for sale, but don't need another. It's a steal price for a nice rod and decent reel. The rod is worth double his asking price alone.
In raging rivers it is no doubt too light, but from shore fisheries like the beach or Fraser it is fine.
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=41336.0

That would be Option D:

Length = 10'6"
     Action = Slow
     Power = Light
     Line wt = 4 - 6 lb
     Lure wt = 1/32 - 1/4 oz

Actually that looks like an entirely lighter category than the 8+ lb line models I've listed earlier.

Which of the options will allow you to cast the longest distance?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 04:43:51 PM »

The best options/combination for casting the greatest distance is longest rod, largest weight of terminal gear, a good reel and most importantly the lightest best quality braid you can afford.  The use of braid over mono will give you the most significant improvement in casting distance.  To achieve the greatest distance when targeting coho under 10 lbs I would use 15 lbs braid and a bumper of 8-12 mono/fluoro depending on location, conditions and your skills as an angler.

Tangles

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »

8'6 - 9'6
Medium power
Fast action
3/8-3/4 lure
8-12lb rating
I usually run 8 or 10lb mono straight to a 1/4 or 3/8oz lure

KarateKick

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 01:46:34 PM »

The best options/combination for casting the greatest distance is longest rod, largest weight of terminal gear, a good reel and most importantly the lightest best quality braid you can afford.  The use of braid over mono will give you the most significant improvement in casting distance.  To achieve the greatest distance when targeting coho under 10 lbs I would use 15 lbs braid and a bumper of 8-12 mono/fluoro depending on location, conditions and your skills as an angler.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  Does the "largest weight of terminal gear" require just a heavier power in the rod, or does the fast/slow action matter as well?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions and not learning very fast.  I am not the sharpest hook in the tackle box.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:48:52 PM by KarateKick »

Shinny

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:26:56 PM »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 11:26:44 AM »

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  Does the "largest weight of terminal gear" require just a heavier power in the rod, or does the fast/slow action matter as well?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions and not learning very fast.  I am not the sharpest hook in the tackle box.

Honestly, don't get too worked up about the rod specs. You want something 9 feet or close to that, with enough backbone to bring in your targeted species without overstressing the fish too much. I like option B, followed by option A. But either will do, and another rod with specs close to these rods will be fine as well.
I like lighter spinning rods for tossing lures for pinks and coho as they cast lighter lures better (farther) and you get a more enjoyable fight out of the fish.
I have 2 spinning rods I use for this purpose. Both 9 feet. One is a medium-light Shimano Clairus, the other a medium heavy Shimano Convergence. I use the Clairus for tossing small spoons and spinners in slow moving water. The other I use for bigger lures in faster water and twitching jigs.
As for line one reel has 20lb brain, Suffix 832. It's awesome! You get an excellent feel for the action of the lure. I typically run the braid to a swivel and then a 3ish foot mono leader, typically 12lb test.
My other reel is just straight mono. 12lb Berkley XL. It's great as a mainline on spinning reels. Don't get the XT that's more for leaders for gear fishing. It will cast like crap if you use it as mainline on a spinning reel.

likely

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 01:46:54 PM »

I'D TAKE OPTION B

KarateKick

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 09:57:41 PM »

Honestly, don't get too worked up about the rod specs. You want something 9 feet or close to that, with enough backbone to bring in your targeted species without overstressing the fish too much. I like option B, followed by option A. But either will do, and another rod with specs close to these rods will be fine as well.

Thank you so much!

I am finding the Shakespeare Wild Series very attractive at around $50 CAD:
http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/shakespeare-rods-spinning-rods/shakespeare-wild-series-rods-spinning/1365091.html

WSSP862M:

Length = 8'6"
     Action = TBD
     Power = Medium
     Line wt = 8 - 14 lb
     Lure wt = 1/4-1/2

WSSP92ML:

Length = 9'
     Action = TBD
     Power = Medium Light
     Line wt = 6 - 12 lb
     Lure wt = 1/4-1/2

WSSP92L:

Length = 9'
     Action = TBD
     Power = Light
     Line wt = 4 - 10
     Lure wt = 1/8-1/2

For an even lower cost, I just found two South Bend Black Beauty rods for $35 CAD at Walmart:
http://www.south-bend.com/products/rods/big-watersurf/black-beauty-salmonsteelhd

BBSS-862MSP:

Length = 8'6"
     Action = TBD
     Power = Medium
     Line wt = 8 - 12 lb
     Lure wt = 3/8 - 1.5 oz

BBSS-962LSP

Length = 9'6"
     Action = TBD
     Power = Light
     Line wt = 4 - 10 lb
     Lure wt = 1/32 - 1/2 oz

I also found an Eagle Claw Feather Light rod for $25 USD on the American Cabelas site:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Eagle-Claw-Featherlight-Spinning-Rods/739708.uts

FL209-90:

Length = 9'
     Action = TBD
     Power = Medium Light
     Line wt = 4 - 8 lb
     Lure wt = 1/16 - 1/2 oz

Can anyone tell me what is the risk of buying such low-cost rods?  Do they just break easily or would you expect a problem with performance as well?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:16:29 PM by KarateKick »

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »

I've fished a number of Shakespeare rods and think they are the best bang for your buck rods! That said, I don't know their longer spinning rod options, for the beach I would recommend a longer rod (9-11 feet) with a Medium power.

2 years ago I bought a 10 foot "Cabela's Fish Eagle 50 Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rod" specifically for the beach and it's been exceptional! Rod specs are below. I'm not sure Cabela's still sell them, but gives you another idea.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65444
Model: FE50SS1004-2   
Length: 10'   
Action: Fast   
Lure Weight: 3/8 - 1   
Power: M   
Line Weight: 8 - 15   
Pieces: 2