Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ATTN: Newsman or others about Lessons  (Read 4699 times)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
ATTN: Newsman or others about Lessons
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:55:44 PM »

Hey. I was going through old threads and saw Newsman is apparently a great teacher and had classes. Tried emailing him, but his email is not working (Delivery failed)

Was hoping he could post in this thread if he is still doing lessons these days. Or others with suggestions on casting/general fly fishing lessons would be great! Thanks
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: ATTN: Newsman or others about Lessons
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:19:46 AM »

I would try RP3flyfisher. His name is Rick and he is good.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:34:09 AM »

I would try RP3flyfisher. His name is Rick and he is good.
thanks

shot him an email

Nevermind. His email was rejected as well
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:08:28 PM by DanJohn »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »

Lessons are a hard sell these days. Since Gorden Campbell had general interest classes cut from night school programs I have found it hard to fill a class. I had enough to teach a class at Hatch Match'r two years ago; but couldn't get enough interest to run a class this year. Rick is still doing the odd class, and he is a friend of mine so I will ask him to contact you via this thread.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »

Lessons are a hard sell these days. Since Gorden Campbell had general interest classes cut from night school programs I have found it hard to fill a class. I had enough to teach a class at Hatch Match'r two years ago; but couldn't get enough interest to run a class this year. Rick is still doing the odd class, and he is a friend of mine so I will ask him to contact you via this thread.
Fair enough. No dice on possible private lessons through you? Nothing against anyone, just from what I read, you know your stuff and dont just cover how to cast, but how to fish.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »

Sorry about the mix up, My e-mail was down for a few weeks.

E-Mail me at Rp3FlyFisher@gmail.com and we can talk, or call me at 604-722-0491

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:18:11 PM »

Fair enough. No dice on possible private lessons through you? Nothing against anyone, just from what I read, you know your stuff and dont just cover how to cast, but how to fish.

Thanks Dan. Yes in my classes I focus on catching fish. I am critical of many so-called fly fishing classes for just the reason you mentioned; too much time of casting and too little time on fish catching strategies. I think you will like Rick's instruction.

You might also want to stay in contact with Randy, at Hatch Match'r Fly & Tackle in Maple Ridge, Todd Oishi, Tom Johannesen, along with myself try to fill classes out of his shop each spring.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Derek Mcl

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:12:41 PM »

I took a weekend "night school" course with Kevin Longaard in North Vancouver about 15 years ago (wow has it been that long?).  I really enjoyed the course.  I still remember his comment when he taught the double surgeon's knot for adding tippet to your leader.  He said that when you are out on the water fishing, you don't want to waste time tying a fancy blood knot.  The D.S. knot is fast and dirty and gets your fly back into the water lickety split.  That was very practical advice.

Kevin's course was about half fishing strategy and half fly casting.

He also cost me a lot of money over the years because he let me practice cast his Sage RPL+ rod on the grass.  I now own four Sage fly rods!

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:53:30 PM »

I took a weekend "night school" course with Kevin Longaard in North Vancouver about 15 years ago (wow has it been that long?).  I really enjoyed the course.  I still remember his comment when he taught the double surgeon's knot for adding tippet to your leader.  He said that when you are out on the water fishing, you don't want to waste time tying a fancy blood knot.  The D.S. knot is fast and dirty and gets your fly back into the water lickety split.  That was very practical advice.

Kevin's course was about half fishing strategy and half fly casting.

He also cost me a lot of money over the years because he let me practice cast his Sage RPL+ rod on the grass.  I now own four Sage fly rods!
I agree. Ive tried blood knots and just found that a surgeons works as well, in a lot less time. Also when my hands are frozen I dont bother tying a clinch for Fly>Tippet, and just use a palomar knot. Its quick, effective, and I still havent had one break off under normal circumstances.

I think I will be taking Ricks class. As he said, its quite intensive, and not all casting based. Now, to save the money for it! Thanks for posting though :)

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 10:24:42 PM »

take rp3's class, you wont regret it man ;)

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 12:38:34 AM »

How much is the class?
is there a website or something that goes over the break down of whats gone over in the teachings?

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 01:12:19 AM »

How much is the class?
is there a website or something that goes over the break down of whats gone over in the teachings?

http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com/fly-fishing-classes/

Any questions can be sent to Rick directly at rp3flyfisher@gmail.com
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:14:02 AM by DanJohn »