Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This Could be a Gem - Cane Fly Rod  (Read 9203 times)

one more cast

This Could be a Gem - Cane Fly Rod
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:26:22 AM »

On Craigslist this morning. Don't know what he's asking, but it sounds interesting for anyone looking for a bamboo rod.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/spo/2047145329.html

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: This Could be a Gem - Cane Fly Rod
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:11:19 PM »

that rod will most likely be in the $500 and up area. alot of canes rods go for over $1000 nowadays (of course these are newer lighter models)

wish he had a picture up, I have been thinking about getting a cane rod for a little while but cant justify the price tag  ::)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

cohojoe

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »

I  phoned.   He would entertain  $ 1,000.   No doubt this rod was $ 1,500  back in the day.    Maybe collectors see the value in this rod.     I  had some cane rods from the  40s  and  use them for nostalgia where I know the fishes will not fight so hard as to break it.   

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 05:53:01 PM »

Cane rods can be dicey. Care is a must. If the center core has dried out it could snap like a dry twig under load (learned this one the hard way). I have given many a refit over the years. I personally own four and use to use them all the time, but the upkeep made me convert to graphite. Like wood boats, to keep them looking good the exterior finish needs to be sanded down and refinished regularly and when the center core (the pith) dries out they need to be striped down completely (wraps, guides, and ferules removed) and soaked before restoration.

$1000 to $1500 for a rod that my need a refit or snap under load? Wishful thinking.   
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 09:31:29 PM »

Cane rod is best for hanging on the wall as deco.  (my thoughts anyways)
Needs to be kept in a cool not too dry/humid place otherwise it'll warp.  Too much of a hassle.  :P

Old Chroniy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:03:23 AM »

I agree BwiBwi put them on a wall and enjoy. I have 4 spit cane rods I bought years ago from Peter McVey at corbet lake, used then for a year or two them oiled them up and put them in a nice case for all my fishing buds to drool over ;D

Steve

burnaby

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 11:20:43 AM »

So what's the deal with cane rods besides nostalgic. Are there positive characteristics of cane not found in graphite?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:22 AM »

I think its all about looking fancy and wealthy on the water. Same thing goes for alot of snobby fishermen that think if you dont have high end stuff your not worth their time to talk to  ::) ::)

I love running into these guys and promptly out fishing them with my mid range stuff  ;D especially gratifying when they ask me whats working after not even acknowleging me when i said Hi or asked something.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:35:27 AM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

burnaby

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 03:44:11 PM »

Gonna look good standing there with fancy gear if you can't catch fish.

Having said that a high end reel is a pleasure to fish with vs. lower and even mid stuff.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 12:40:00 AM »

higher end rods are also nicer to use because they will weigh considerable less and yes you can notice an ounce difference surprisingly.

HOOK - slowly upgrading everything to high end stuff  ;D
Check out our new blog

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »

I think its all about looking fancy and wealthy on the water. Same thing goes for alot of snobby fishermen that think if you dont have high end stuff your not worth their time to talk to  ::) ::)

I love running into these guys and promptly out fishing them with my mid range stuff  ;D especially gratifying when they ask me whats working after not even acknowleging me when i said Hi or asked something.

I love to play that game too!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 06:19:36 PM »

If you want to see what goes into making cane fly rod from scratch do  a search on Spey Pages. A member there is  in the final stages of finishing up a cane fly rod. Quite interesting to see how one is made, and what the builder can do to make sure it lasts a lifetime.  The title of the thread is " The Making of a Bamboo Spey Rod".
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:22:50 PM by dennyman »

cohojoe

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 07:13:15 PM »

about 20 years ago I was still in the Fly Fishing gear business and was concerned about all the hype of very expensive gear.   so I experimented with one of my beginners fly rod outfits from Cortland.   the rod was really low cost.    Guess what ?    My $ 200 ( total for rod,  reel,  line  )   caught as many fish as my buddies  very expensive outfits.     Same goes for the cane rod that I borrowed from  Thomas and Thomas.     I think it cost about $ 1,500 and it caught the same number of fish as the graphites.    The only thing about cane rods is when the sun shines ;   the beautiful  color of the rod really shows.     When I am not fishing and thinking about my days on the water  I remember that golden color.   

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »

The feeling of quality in your hands makes a big difference.
I turn wrenches for a living, there a many cheaper look alikes but when it comes to wrenches
The feel of snap-on can't be duplicated.

It’s the same with hobbies and sports.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »

Partridge Rods were pretty common back in the 80s and 90s. Best I recall they sold for under $300. Very few cane rods are worth over $1g or are truely collectable. They are a number of collectable rod dealers in the UK who sell Hardy, Scotty and similar used cane for $300 to $500.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:12:36 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.