Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I Want to try Sturgeon Fishing  (Read 1427 times)

castaway

I Want to try Sturgeon Fishing
« on: September 26, 2013, 03:56:25 PM »

Hi everyone, Im new to the forum and thought this would be a good place to get some info for a trip I'm planning in October. I live  in Prince George and am planning a trip down to Chilliwack during the week following thanksgiving. My buddy has family there so we wont be staying too far from the boat launch. I have never fished for sturgeon but want to give it a try. I will be bringing my jet boat. I have a heavy 10'6" rod and 7000 that I use for bar fishing,(I know that is not ideal) should I use that or borrow a halibut rod and reel? I have read of some different variations in rigging set up but what do you all find works best. Hook size, line weight...etc. We have a bunch of frozen uncured roe as well as cured stuff. It is pink roe. Is that adequate for the job or should we find something else. Any recommendations where to go? Any and all help and pointers would be greatly appreciated.                 Thanks Jeff.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: I Want to try Sturgeon Fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 05:00:41 PM »

I like 7/0 or 9/0 Gamakatsu hooks,approx 16 oz weight wedge shape,80 -130 lb leader and minimum 50 lb test main if mono and a lot higher if braid.
Look for bait when on the river and cut up a floater to get the whole Sturgeon experience.lol
Otherwise get some fresh uncured roe.
Leave the bar rod at home unless you want to break it.
Borrow the Hali set up.
Have fun.It is as exciting as it gets for a newbee. :)
Any other questions feel free to shoot me a message or ask here.

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: I Want to try Sturgeon Fishing
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »

Good time of year to fish for sturgeon. If it was me I would make a day of it. I'd fish for chum or coho in the morning, and maybe keep a doe or two (if retention is open) and use the belly strips or fresh chum roe as bait. There should (as mentioned above) be some floaters in the river. Pick one up and cut some pieces off. Word to the wise though, don't get it in your boat. Stink bait isn't called stink bait because it smells like roses. The uncured pink roe will work too, but chum roe will likely be more effective, as will stink bait.
As for tackle, I usually use 9/0  barbless hooks. I have seen some big fish bend smaller hooks. The bar rod works for smaller sturgeon, but you never know what you are going to get and a big boy will likely snap it. 
I'm sure there are some shore guys here that would be willing to hop in your boat if You have room, in exchange for a little gas money and some information.