Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jones Lake disgrace from July long weekend  (Read 4589 times)

bcguy

Jones Lake disgrace from July long weekend
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:21:53 AM »

Was camping up at Jones Lake this weekend, and I just have to comment on the absolute disgraceful condition it was left in from last weekend.
It seems there was a number of grad parties up there last weekend, and the condition it was left in , well, if they were cats, I would rub their pathetic little noses in it!!!!
There was bags of garbage left scattered along the roadside (what do these idiots think, theres GARBAGE COLLECTION UP THERE?!?!?!?!) The campsites were left littered with anything and every thing including feminine hygiene products..EEEEWWWWWWW!!!! I would love dearly to find out who these individuals were and the school they attended, obviously conservation was not ANY of their majors...
This was one on the most disgusting displays of selfcentered behaviour I have had the displeasure of experiencing.
I spoke at length with the fire marshall about what happened up there, and he indicated after the weekend, he had to extinguish (14), thats right 14 campfires left smouldering and burning!!!!!
Including one so large and hot still, he had to get a pump, and take water from the lake to extinguish it.

This is the reason we lose beautiful places like Jones Lake.

If anyone on this board happens to know ANYTHING about this, send me an email, or comment on the board, there is some unfinished business to take care of regarding this matter. Including sackfulls of garbage waiting to be deposited on certain lawns.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Jones Lake disgrace from July long weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:42:35 AM »

Terrible, this board should organize a cleanup up there and do some fishing too. ;D ;D ;D

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »

I thought there was a caretaker that monitored things up that way?

I am suprised that RCMP was not stationed at the bottom of the hill to check for booze.

It's not that hard to make this problem go away from Jones, unfortunately it just moves the problem elsewhere...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 05:07:46 PM »

We had the same problem in Squamish a couple of years back at Anderson Beach on the middle section of the river. Huge amounts of garbage and other such junk. Some of the locals went through the mess and found the high school responsible and got in touch with the Principle of that school. She threatened to not give out the Graduation diplomas until the mess was cleaned up. The following weekend the class responsible was back and cleaned up the mess. The local CO was also there so that was a bit of a incentive for them as well. Some of the local business also donated garbage containers  ( large construction bins) for them to dispose of the refuse properly. It might be a bit late for that this year as school is out but if you can find the school responsible then contact them and hopefully they can prevent a repeat next year.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »

We had the same problem in Squamish a couple of years back at Anderson Beach on the middle section of the river. Huge amounts of garbage and other such junk. Some of the locals went through the mess and found the high school responsible and got in touch with the Principle of that school. She threatened to not give out the Graduation diplomas until the mess was cleaned up. The following weekend the class responsible was back and cleaned up the mess. The local CO was also there so that was a bit of a incentive for them as well. Some of the local business also donated garbage containers  ( large construction bins) for them to dispose of the refuse properly. It might be a bit late for that this year as school is out but if you can find the school responsible then contact them and hopefully they can prevent a repeat next year.
Yes that is a way to handle it. If we are going to get a handle on this garbage issue it needs to start with the youth. As frustrating as it is we have to keep programs like the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coaltion going so hopefully one day it will spawn more cleanup groups that will look after their local rivers and other recreational area's. It is a lot of work to keep these programs going but could you imagine all the garbage would be out there if it was not cleaned up?

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 10:27:18 PM »

It is just sad to see the younger generation degenerate into a " we do not give a !@#$%^&" attitude. Society is trying so hard to head towards a greener earth but with attitude like that, its never ever going to happen.

It all starts from home. If the parents don’t teach kids responsibilities, then this vicious cycle will go on and on again.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:34:34 PM by CohoMan »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »

Making the high schools clean it up is a really good idea if they can be identified.  Those same kids probably make a mess at home and mom or dad just keeps on cleaning it up after them (much like clean up crews do at the campsites).....they never learn that way, and the'll never care.  The other thing it does it puts kids that don't necessarily contribute to the littering but may have been present out there....so the next time somebody does it they might speak up, or clean it up themselves.  kids these days.....glad to see that most of the younger people on this forum are good eggs :)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »

There should be a motion activated camera set up, that takes pictures of every single car heading in...

There's only one way in and out for most... Not many kids from Langley know about the bench road.

Then there would be a nice list of plates for RCMP to call when the time for interrogation arrived.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »

Nicole the cops do put up a road block at the bottom of the hill.Its just that they cant stay there all day and all night they do what they can to stop the flow of booze,The thing is its young adults that feed booze to the younger crowds that are the real problem the cops cant take their booze as long as its not open.This has been going on for as long as i can remember.I learned the hard way as well camped up ther one night and had to pack up and leave the next day because of the groups punks that surrounded our campsite.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:48:01 AM »

a motion activated camera would last about 20 minutes up there...somebody would just steal it or smash it.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »

Well the only solution then is to start charging to camp there, and have an operator up there all season...

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 02:07:53 PM »

or have free camping "tickets" available for vehicles, available online (or offline) and it requires you to register your plates for numbered spots.  send somebody from parks by to do random daily checks, and fine people without tickets.  No need to have somebody up there all the time.   It would also put a plate number to damaged sites.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 02:09:53 PM by marmot »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »

glad to see that most of the younger people on this forum are good eggs :)

Yes.... most of us  ;D