Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: veddar sockeye...Please identify your catch!!!  (Read 11452 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: veddar sockeye...Please identify your catch!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 09:21:01 AM »

And as for CORE and hunting... I read the book once, passed with 95% and still cant tell a white tail from a mule. So the system is clearly wrong.

Estbalishing a similar qualifying method may not completely solve the issue but will definitely minimize these "Honest Mistakes". At least, there has to be an opportunity for educating and testing the newbie anglers prior to selling them a Salmon Stamp. We can not just afford to lose our scarce resources to a loose licensing process anymore. Someone has to step up and fix this process.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »

Why is it legal to drag a fish up on the rocks in the first place....?  Just askin'.... there are other ways to land a fish...seems like the first thing that should go if we're at all concerned about identification.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »

Why is it legal to drag a fish up on the rocks in the first place....? 

It isn't legal.....    ???  "It is unlawful to release fish in a harmful manner"

If a CO catches you pulling a fish onto shore that will be released, he WILL give you a ticket.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

RainbowMan

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 10:43:28 AM »

It isn't legal.....    ???  "It is unlawful to release fish in a harmful manner"

If a CO catches you pulling a fish onto shore that will be released, he WILL give you a ticket.

You are right, alwaysfishn. That happened to an angler standing next to me last year in the Scale Bar when the guy dragged a Sockeye to the shore when fishing for springs.
But this statement keeps the door open to different interpretations. (harmful manner). I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the system from the licensing process to improving the regs, etc. I wonder why the management doesn't ask for inputs/ideas from the anglers community... ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 10:45:17 AM »

I wonder why the management doesn't ask for inputs/ideas from the anglers community... ???

They do.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/sfab-ccps-eng.htm

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »

This is for the fellow that can't tell the difference between a muley or whitetail, please get your eyes tested. Sorry to be blunt, but the differences are so obvious. If you made a comment like that on huntingbc,  I can only imagine the rude comments that would be directed your way.

anorden

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 11:55:57 AM »

If you made a comment like that on huntingbc,  I can only imagine the rude comments that would be directed your way.

If you look on hunting bc you will see a number of my comments about CORE.

It was supposed to be a slightly TONGUE IN CHEEK comment, perhaps you shouldnt take things so literally.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »

Hey man you are the one that made the comment. Reread what you posted, and in the future use some of the graphics if you want to make tongue in cheek comments like this  ;D ;D. We can't read your mind on this site.  Anyhow I am detracting from the original post about being able to  tell a sockeye salmon from a coho.

RainbowMan

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »

burnaby

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 01:16:58 PM »

Mandatory testing for salmon sticker should be required. The boat safe test may be bit of a joke but at least it is a start. Sad when anglers don't know the identifiers for the different types. "What spots" is no excuses.  >:(??? ::)

Honest mistakes must be accompany with honest ticket. Our society requires reinforcement for compliance.

-1, stmt is very clear. Every angler I've commented to about not dragging a C&R sock onto the rock cause it is harmful has never argue the point. Everyone realize if they were dragged the same body length over the rocks it would be harmful.
But this statement keeps the door open to different interpretations. (harmful manner). ...

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »

There are now posters showing the difference between adipose clipped sockeye and coho at most access points to the Vedder River.  There appears to be a good number of sockeye in the lower river (today anyway) so those anglers unsure of salmon identification are urged to study these posters before angling.

slurpie

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »

That's good to hear/see.  However far too often, fishermen in their haste to rush to "the spot" will bypass these posters.  At least the information is out there and visible so all can have access to the info...

sapper

• 2000 Feet 3 Miles East of the Port Mann, Full Stop
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 01:29:44 AM »

Not keeping the dead sockeye would be an honest mistake. That would have been reported in a heartbeat by me. >:(

Good for you.  You have successfully created another statistic.  And what good has this done for the person that took the fish?  Absolutly nothing. 

And then you think the DFO will dispatch a CO or something?? and if they do, would that fix the whole problem?

I personally believe that many of these individuals require some opportunities to educate themselves rather than paying $$ for a mistake that could have easily been prevented. The reality is that the current method of selling a fishing license with (or in most cases without) a copy of the Fishing Regulation provides minimal opportunity for educating a novice angler. Reporting individual incidents doesn't seem to make a significant difference. This system needs more checks and balances to ensure people take the responsibility of t

First inteligent thing said so far in this thread.

If you want to call and report someone, it’s your own prerogative, but at the end of the day it’s accomplished absolutely nothing other than generating another stat at the local DFO office, maybe pushed an officer out to the river for an extra few hours that week, but that’s about it.

I absolutely LOVE hearing all these people scream they call the DFO and report everyone they see doing something wrong - give license plates, names if they have them - blah blah blah.  At the end of the day, they may show up at that person’s house but they have nothing on that person other than a complaint unless they have kept that fish (and think about it - who’s going to keep it if someone says something to them.  10 minutes down the road its out the door in the ditch if they have any brains). 

You sir Shakespug and alwaysfishn are part of the problem.  Always willing to scream about problems but not offer any solutions to the problem.  Try educating that person about what has been done  (and I don’t mean educating by verbally lashing that person in front of 100 other people with your manly lion voice - they’re going to feel about 2 inches tall when the realize what they have done, even without being lashed in front of everyone else).  If you still want to report the issue, than now is the time to do so, you have done you part by "educating" the person that has done wrong.  It’s a two way street here and until something has been done to get people the proper training before they are issued a license, this is going to continue.

If you don’t feel it’s your job to have to educate those who perhaps don’t know what they’re doing then maybe it’s time you give up the sport and pick up a set of knitting needles and some wool because its everyone’s business out there.  Everyone is so quick to say all you need is the internet, get the details from there - well wtf did people do before the internet?  They spoke with each other - Verbal communication.  Try it out some time, give someone some tips, give them the info they need if you see they may be having troubles and guess what - you may prevent someone from illegally taking a fish before its too late!
From the coasts of BC and Newfoundland Labrador, to the smallest crevasse in the hills of Afghanistan.  Support your Canadian Troops!

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 01:54:28 AM »

Well said Sapper. Those comments regarding immediately calling him in kind of ruffled my feathers a little. I totally agree that a person should be educated before hitting the flow. But when you get a new fisher that makes an honest mistake I think that you would get a better result by giving him a little education, and not in the form of lashing out at him. I am sure that any decent human being would be able to take that advice (if directed properly at him) and learn from the experience. Just a little thought, we all were once new fishers out there and how did we learn? I know most of my experience came in the form of asking questions and getting good advice for the most part.  Anyways, that is just my two cents on the issue. Lets call it an unbiassed opinion.  :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:56:59 AM by funfisher »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 07:43:32 AM »

First inteligent thing said so far in this thread.

If you want to call and report someone, it’s your own prerogative, but at the end of the day it’s accomplished absolutely nothing other than generating another stat at the local DFO office, maybe pushed an officer out to the river for an extra few hours that week, but that’s about it.

I absolutely LOVE hearing all these people scream they call the DFO and report everyone they see doing something wrong - give license plates, names if they have them - blah blah blah.  At the end of the day, they may show up at that person’s house but they have nothing on that person other than a complaint unless they have kept that fish (and think about it - who’s going to keep it if someone says something to them.  10 minutes down the road its out the door in the ditch if they have any brains).  

Although I'm sure you have good intentions and believe what you have written, your statement is probably the least intelligent comment made on this thread.   :(

While we can all probably agree that it may help to talk to fishermen when they are in the process or have committed a violation, it is fraught with problems. While you may have the ability to speak to someone in a non-confrontational way, most people don't have that ability.  

That's why folks smarter than you or I have created the Observe, Record and Report (ORR) program.

Everyone should have this number in their cell phone. The more calls they receive the more attention the problem will get.

1-800-465-4336 or in Greater Vancouver: 604-607-4186       http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/ORR-ONS-eng.htm

Or call the provincial RAPP line Dial Toll Free 1-877-952-7277       http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm  

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[