Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder - Upper vs. mid vs. lower... where do you make the distinctions?  (Read 4031 times)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Hey all,

I always thought this was somewhat common knowledge, but recent conversations with varying responses have cast doubt on my certainty.
Where do YOU draw the line between the upper, mid, and lower sections of the Chilliwack/Vedder River?

Cheers,
:D
Tex

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder - Upper vs. mid vs. lower... where do you make the distinctions?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 09:59:36 PM »

I consider lower as Vedder Crossing Down, Mid I would say is from Crossing to tamahi Bridge and Upper is from Tamahi up

fyrslyer

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:16:49 PM »

I consider lower as Vedder Crossing Down, Mid I would say is from Crossing to tamahi Bridge and Upper is from Tamahi up

Exactly what i consider it

bushmaster

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:36:13 PM »

dido

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 12:57:02 AM »

With the addition that Train Bridge and down is considered the canal to me.

silverslab

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 08:35:15 AM »

From the vedder crossing down is the lower river, from tamihii down mid river and from tamihii up upper river

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 10:11:57 AM »

Ah, good, I was pretty much on target then.  An associate was trying to convince me the lower river was what Dion is calling the canal.  I find I fish the upper river more than half of the time, probably close to 70%, and the mid river about 25%.  Very rarely do I fish the lower or canal, but that is somethine I'd like to learn more about this year. 

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:24:12 AM »

Ah, good, I was pretty much on target then.  An associate was trying to convince me the lower river was what Dion is calling the canal.  I find I fish the upper river more than half of the time, probably close to 70%, and the mid river about 25%.  Very rarely do I fish the lower or canal, but that is somethine I'd like to learn more about this year. 

Don't bother canal is a gong show full of snaggers  >:(  Pretty much anywhere from the Lickman Road down is a complete mess when the fish are running, and I try to get as far away from all the people out there as possible.

Just for example, yesterday there were hundreds of people out on the river (Lickman Road down). I would say 75% of these people were either fishing 10 foot leaders under a float thinking they were "float fishing" and getting the fish to bite or they were trying to get the 2 once weights to roll in the slow water under the train bridge  ::)  Guess what 25% of the fisherman out there actually caught fish  ;D  There arn't enough fish right now to floss, or for that matter even hook right now.

I should also not that during the fall rush places like Wilson Road, Tamahi, Limit (year round), Prison, etc all get the same crowd. Best to walk a bit and avoid these areas, at least that way the fish arn't spooked from cannon balls coming down on them.

circle c

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 08:51:14 PM »

I pretty much agree with the other opinions regarding boundaries.  I do find that I now spend almost all my time on the lower river as I am able to find some decent fly water down there.

Tj

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 11:38:04 PM »

Don't bother canal is a gong show full of snaggers  >:(  Pretty much anywhere from the Lickman Road down is a complete mess when the fish are running, and I try to get as far away from all the people out there as possible.

Yes, please stay away from anywhere downstream from Lickman as often as possible. Only snaggers like Chris and I fish down there. ;) WE are the gong show. :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 12:01:24 AM »

Yes, please stay away from anywhere downstream from Lickman as often as possible. Only snaggers like Chris and I fish down there. ;) WE are the gong show. :D

The truth is out. Finally !! :)

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 12:35:33 AM »

I find the snaggers hover around the KW bridge and most recently Alison pool. I even seen a guy snagging pinks last year with a fly rod at Alison pool.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 08:13:03 AM »

Rod- that's funny. I guess snaggers are throughout the whole river from the limits hole down the canal.

Even in the busy runs, sometimes you can find a bit of water to yourself.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 09:20:49 AM »

All of you boys are right, the snaggers are throughout the river. I've encountered more of them when the water is low and clear in the upper reaches standing on the high bank sight fishing usually for Coho with polariized glasses. They tend to be solitary fishers and will move on when you get near enough to see them always striking when their float dips. They'll also refuse landing assistance or move away  out of the run to politely say they don't want to spook the pool or run for the rest of us then land the fish they've just snagged out of sight.
Regardless of gear used snaggers willl adapt a technique to snag with it.
It ain't the roe bro'