Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack/Vedder river and Squamish River salmon.  (Read 2801 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Chilliwack/Vedder river and Squamish River salmon.
« on: August 18, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »

Hello all,
When will the Chilliwack/Vedder River (coho, white chinook, chum, pink) and Squamish River (pink, chum, coho) going to be opening for fishing?

Thanks Nicolas.

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack/Vedder river and Squamish River salmon.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:35:01 PM »

The Squamish has Pinks now but they are Catch and release . You might want to avoid the drive as the water conditions have not been good this season due to a slide up the Mamquam, Visibility was decent yesterday but it looks like chocolate milk again today. The chum start to arrive the first week of October usually with the peak of the run around the last week October/ First week of November. Chum are currently closed to retention as well due to low numbers the last couple of seasons. Maybe an in-season change if numbers are good. Coho are open September 15 but in my experience are around in numbers in the middle to late October with the Chummies. You can retain one hatchery marked fish per day.

cheers
Derek
always a student

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:50:14 PM »

Thank you very much for the info.
If you are a fly fisherman, what flies and what type on fly lines (floating, slow sinking, fast sinking etc.) would you recomend for the Sqaumish?

Thanks Nicolas.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 05:16:06 PM »

I like to use a medium sink tip for sure for both chum and pinks. I avoid the slacker water when the fish are in thick to avoid foul hooking the boots that sit in these areas. Swifter water often means you will be into fresher fish, albeit not as many fish but who enjoys a 15lb buck chum with a black belly hooked in the dorsal they are just gear busters. ;) A tip for you if you are new to this fishery (chum) would be to get yourself mustad extra fine wire demon cirle hooks with an upturned eye. Cut my foul hookups down to only a couple in the last few seasons, lets the hook slide off the backs of the one that don't want to bite.

Good luck
Derek

always a student

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 05:30:14 PM »

Thank you so much for the information, this will definitely help me in the future. :) And what flies should i use?

Thanks Nicolas
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:33:31 PM by BCfisherman97 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 01:11:09 AM »

In the future, updated salmon openings of these rivers can be found at: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:25:15 PM »

Thanks for the info Rodney :)