Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bent skeg  (Read 3283 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
bent skeg
« on: April 14, 2007, 10:08:15 AM »

I did the knucklehead move of the year so far.  I was pulling my boat out of the driveway and forgot to raise the motor.  I ended up with a bent skeg.  It looks like it will effect the steering.  Any ideas on repairs?  Can I heat it up and pound it back, or should I send it in and pay a fortune? 

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: bent skeg
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 10:18:53 AM »

Well your bent skeg should go with your bent rod. ;D

What size motor is it?

how much is bent?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 11:36:35 AM »

Do you have a picture to post.

you may get away with carefull heating and bending back but the problem is... to get enough heat into it you may compromise your seal. Post a picture if you can.. If it's not too bad go out to a lake and give it a test.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 12:39:04 PM »

it's a 100 hp 4-stroke Yamaha.  Not a member of FWR, so posting is not an option.  After looking at it, the tip might be bent to the port side about an inch.  I'm thinking I will try to heat and bend a little.  if it breaks, I'll add a stainless skeggard. 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 04:20:03 PM »

Good call on the 2x4 and c-clamp technique.  I'll try that.  Apparently aluminum gets really weak after it's been bent a time or 2 and I should still expect to break the skeg.  If that happens, I'm out 150 to have a new one welded on.  The local shop is saying that they don't recommend the stainless Skeggard because it is so much stronger than the "sacrificial" aluminum and transfers too much of future shock where it shouldn't go.

RVT

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »

Aacson welding on Young Road in Chilliwack apparently does excellent repair work on outboard "oopses".  I smoked a chunk out of my skeg pulling into a gas station and a buddy of mine  who does some guiding told me to take it there.  I'm waiting for my next screwup before I get it fixed.

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 07:08:15 AM »

The skeg is cast alluminim and heating up is a bad idea so is hitting cast is very birittle and you have to be careful. Anything cast that you heat or weld should be cooled slowly post heated and when welding peened. You should get it fixed professionally . The cresent wrench trick may work or c clamp but be careful not to do more damage.