Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: do you cut off welded loops?  (Read 6909 times)

noobfisher

do you cut off welded loops?
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:27:09 PM »

Being new to fly fishing .... do you cut off the welded loop that comes with the fly line and nail knot your line to  leader or do you prefer to leave it on and use the loop to connect to your leader? 

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: do you cut off welded loops?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »

if your gonna be fishing differnent tips then keep the loop but if not then it is better without the loop.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »

I add loop to loop connections to all my lines either using nail knot / whip finish or using the welded loop technology.
I don't find it affects casting distance at all and it's a lot quicker to switch out leaders.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:09:01 AM »

leave the loop on and you wont be cutting little bits of your dry line off each time you need an entire new leader. just toss a double or triple surgeons knot into your leader end connecting to the dry line and its a loop-loop connection and is way stronger then a nail knot anyday. I have had nail knots peel the coating off my fly line leaving me having to re-tie everything  >:( especially with salmon

If i buy a fly line without a loop already there then i make my own
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:18:25 AM »

leave the loop on and you wont be cutting little bits of your dry line off each time you need an entire new leader. just toss a double or triple surgeons knot into your leader end connecting to the dry line and its a loop-loop connection and is way stronger then a nail knot anyday. I have had nail knots peel the coating off my fly line leaving me having to re-tie everything  >:( especially with salmon

If i buy a fly line without a loop already there then i make my own

Agreed...you can lose a good amount of line just by re-tying your leaders.  Check out Dave Whitlock's system for making your own welded loop.  I have used it before, never had any issues and it looks sharp!

J
- John A.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »

Agree keep them so much easier!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 12:51:41 AM »

bought a new reel today, didnt need it but it was a good deal and i had some cash and im gonna leave the loops on
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

noobfisher

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »

Hmm oh well next time I'll leave it on ... I guess this means each time I put a new leader on I have to cut a piece of the fly line off?

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »

Hmm oh well next time I'll leave it on ... I guess this means each time I put a new leader on I have to cut a piece of the fly line off?

Nope, you can leave the old piece.  It's just that when you cut off the old leader, you lose a little fly line each time.  Over time, this can add up, particularly if you have a front-taper fly line.  If you have access/experience with a pin-vise, acetone, super glue and a little wire brush you can actually make your own welded loop
- John A.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »

If you don't have a welded loop or have cut it off, you can always nail knot  on a butt section  of  heavy mono (25 or 30 lb test) to the fly line and then attach your leader to that. This way when you have to change leaders you won't be cutting off bits of your fly line.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 10:44:02 PM »

thats a good point but it your going to do that then make sure you double nail knot that butt section on so it doesnt slip or peel off the fly line coating, it also helps if you protect it with something like Aquaseal or UV Knotsense. I have butt sections put on all my sink tips like this at the fly shop and none have let go yet  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »

I prefer a welded loop or a braided loop. Just a smoother transition when going through the guides. I find a bulky nail knot to be annoying when it gets hung up going through the guides. My friend once lost a rod due to a bulky nail knot, it got caught up on a guide and the strong trout yanked the rod right out of his hand ::)
I attach my braided loop using fly tying thread on a bobbin with super glue and Aquaseal or UV knot sense. I have never had a braided loop connection fail. Even when snagged up while swinging the loop connection is super strong  :P 

Mister Twister

• There's no head like steelhead!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 01:38:14 PM »

I prefer a welded loop or a braided loop. Just a smoother transition when going through the guides. I find a bulky nail knot to be annoying when it gets hung up going through the guides. My friend once lost a rod due to a bulky nail knot, it got caught up on a guide and the strong trout yanked the rod right out of his hand ::)
I attach my braided loop using fly tying thread on a bobbin with super glue and Aquaseal or UV knot sense. I have never had a braided loop connection fail. Even when snagged up while swinging the loop connection is super strong  :P 

I agree 100%.....I remember buying Airflo's braided loops 20 yrs ago and despite being constantly ribbed about them I never looked back.....now its the norm!

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 02:58:46 PM »

The only lines that has no loop is on my SA XPS and a Snowbee Delicate presentation line.  Both are strictly for dry fly or soft hackle presentations, much less splashy on non perfect casts.  All other lines have a loop.  I use the braided loops as well, when repairing or making tips.