Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you where in the market for a new pair of breathable waders which brand would you look at buying.

Bare
- 8 (9.1%)
Simms
- 57 (64.8%)
Reddington
- 2 (2.3%)
Orvis
- 4 (4.5%)
Dan Baily
- 5 (5.7%)
Other
- 12 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: Need some advice on waders(Poll Added)  (Read 15070 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Need some advice on waders(Poll Added)
« on: December 20, 2011, 12:57:12 PM »

So I am in the market for some new breathable waders and my budget is under $500.
So I am looking for a good no hassle warranty, breathable, at least 3 layers thick, stocking foot, zipper up the front, and something that in the end will not be a waste of money.
I look forward to seeing what people have to say. Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:32:16 PM by Geff_t »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Nitroholic

Re: Need some advice on waders
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:01:15 PM »

If you can live without the front zipper the Simms G3 are great

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »

Skip a few fishing trips until you can buy the G4 Pros.  The Simms Guide wader is coming back for 2012, but I havent owned a pair.

ChumChaser

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 03:59:38 PM »

I love my Simms G3, but I do wish I had the front zipper.  I have tried the Simms freestones but after getting leaks in two pairs in the same spot both within a month of getting them I upgraded to the G3.  Simms was great about replacing them and allowing me to upgrade only paying the difference when I was unhappy with the freestones.  Although if Simms as rumored moves the seams on the freestone from the inner leg the front of the leg like the g3 construction I bet they would last much longer and make a great entry level breathable, but until then stay away from the freestones.

Danube Boy

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 04:18:47 PM »

I love my Simms G3, but I do wish I had the front zipper.  I have tried the Simms freestones but after getting leaks in two pairs in the same spot both within a month of getting them I upgraded to the G3.  Simms was great about replacing them and allowing me to upgrade only paying the difference when I was unhappy with the freestones.  Although if Simms as rumored moves the seams on the freestone from the inner leg the front of the leg like the g3 construction I bet they would last much longer and make a great entry level breathable, but until then stay away from the freestones.

Done!  http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/freestone_stockingfoot_12.html

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 05:23:17 PM »

I just checked out the web site from Simms and the freestone waders are imported meaning made in China and the fabric is not goretex. The pair of simms that I have right now is goretex and not imported and they have been awesome.

I know that all of the Bare waders are imported but they test ever pair that come in. That is why they have had alot of trouble supplying the shops. I wanted the Bare Gold which has the zipper but so far I do not know of anyone that has them in stock.

I really like the G3 convertible waders and I like how they are constructed with 5 layers of goretex and the seams in the front and the back.

Does anyone own a pair of the new Reddington waders with the zipper and the welded seams?

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »

I will be watching this thread with great interest as im ready to upgrade to breathables from neoprenes.How much for the Sims G3s?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 05:43:28 PM »

I will be watching this thread with great interest as im ready to upgrade to breathables from neoprenes.How much for the Sims G3s?

Simms said suggested retail is $399

brysonk

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 05:45:38 PM »

I've gone through two pairs of the bare golds with the zipper in 6 months. First pair zipper and crotch seam leaks and shoulder strap pull out of the threads. second pair, several boot leaks and seam up the back of the leg and all the way around the boot are leaking. They didn't have any more of my size left to exchange so I've been fixing them myself. They now have more aquaseal on them then I'd like to admit. I'm interested in trying the reddington sonic pro zipper fronts as I'm now used to the zipper and can't see myself going back but can't really afford 700+ for the simms.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:47:14 PM by brysonk »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »

I wanted the Bare Gold which has the zipper but so far I do not know of anyone that has them in stock.

Fred's does (or for sure did 2 weeks ago). If not, they'll order a pair in for you to try on.
Great looking and feeling waders, but I went with the Adams model. Not a big fan of the zipper myself, as it is highly advised against rolling or bending the waders in the zipper area. That means  I am not supposed to roll the waders down to my waist when fishing in the summer heat.  Zipper-schmipper.

Love Bare products though.

As for the original poster's query, buy the best you can afford. Your comfort depends on it.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »

I've gone through two pairs of the bare golds with the zipper in 6 months. First pair zipper and crotch seam leaks and shoulder strap pull out of the threads. second pair, several boot leaks and seam up the back of the leg and all the way around the boot are leaking. They didn't have any more of my size left to exchange so I've been fixing them myself. They now have more aquaseal on them then I'd like to admit. I'm interested in trying the reddington sonic pro zipper fronts as I'm now used to the zipper and can't see myself going back but can't really afford 700+ for the simms.

I have herd that the reddington's are not much better, but then I guess it all depends on who you ask. Some guys have been lucky enough to get a good pair and some have gotten the worse of the bunch. I am finding that the waders that are made over sea's have been really hard to keep quality control on, but the ones that are made in North America have been really good. Almost all of the Sims waders are made at their plant in Montana. Bare on the other handd used to be made right here in Langley BC and they used to be really good, but now all their waders are made over seas and the quality has gone way down. Now as for Reddington I have no idea where they make them.

I guess I will be taking a closer look at the Simms waders.

Nitroholic

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 01:28:12 AM »

I have herd that the reddington's are not much better, but then I guess it all depends on who you ask. Some guys have been lucky enough to get a good pair and some have gotten the worse of the bunch. I am finding that the waders that are made over sea's have been really hard to keep quality control on, but the ones that are made in North America have been really good. Almost all of the Sims waders are made at their plant in Montana. Bare on the other handd used to be made right here in Langley BC and they used to be really good, but now all their waders are made over seas and the quality has gone way down. Now as for Reddington I have no idea where they make them.

I guess I will be taking a closer look at the Simms waders.

IIRC the only Simms products made in the states are the gortex waders (headwaters, g3, g4.) Not even the G3 and G4 gortex jackets are made in the states.

brysonk

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 05:24:15 AM »

I will also be looking at simms for my next pair. After going through 5 pairs of waders in the last year I could have easily bought the g4's and probably still be wearing them for another couple seasons.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 05:37:59 AM »

My Redingtons just last me a whole 3 months of use! Im going for the g3s this time, why would anyone want a zipper in the front, doesnt that mean theres no full pockets....
The Bigger The Better!

mzmann

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 05:48:14 AM »

One name I do't see mentioned on here or see mentioned much at all ever really is Orvis.....I have had my breathables made by them for going on 4yrs now and not a single leak! Also I have REALLY put them through the gears hiking to spots and as well I even wore them for a week straight TWICE!... from time I woke up until the time I went to bed...1was walking/fishing the Vedder just this past season and the other time was out camping/fishing/drinking at a lake for a week....pretty much lived in them! They have really been great to me. I think I paid somewhere between 150 and 200 for them, not gortex, no zipper and just the inside zippered pocket. 1 Clip on one ofe the straps did however break but that was due to slamming it in a car door. I am still very impressed with them none the less though!
Wishin I was fishin!! :)