Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anybody else exited for upcoming pink salmon season. !!!!!  (Read 24047 times)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
Re: Anybody else exited for upcoming pink salmon season. !!!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 07:24:45 PM »

it was so so last year for me on the lower river. ran into gill netting openings during most of the time out there. they swept the river clean a few times. saw people use small yellow/red spin-n-glows getting fish after fish with them. not a fan of eating them but their roe procured hot pink landed me a 32lb spring last year near the canal. and many jacks...springs and coho.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »

Thanks Have you tried fishing before the first nation reserve i think ill hit that spot first.

Yes, many times. You need to get away from shore to do really well. Its shallow close in then a drop off, I do best along the drop off or farther out but its not easy from shore.

If we start now we can build our own wharf~

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 11:34:41 PM »

Yes, many times. You need to get away from shore to do really well. Its shallow close in then a drop off, I do best along the drop off or farther out but its not easy from shore.

If we start now we can build our own wharf~
Good idea we will have a gate and only make it accessibly to citizens if they pay us 1$ a minute.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2014, 11:36:21 PM »

If the spot your talking is the one I think it is, there is no need to be standing mid river. You probably only have to wade out 2 feet and go from there, maybe even not wade out at all.  Rodney made an excellent post saying why. 

I won't repeat it.  Only say read it.  The other anglers on the river will be less annoyed if you do.

Animal Chin

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 06:00:55 PM »

+ 3 about wading out in the Squamish, it is annoying.

The smaller, I think 2-2.5" pink buzzbombs worked best for me overall, few on crocs as a last resort, and jigs only on the Vedder.
Pinks are awesome though, great smoked and their roe catches coho.

Humpy

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 07:15:35 PM »

+ 3 about wading out in the Squamish, it is annoying.

The smaller, I think 2-2.5" pink buzzbombs worked best for me overall, few on crocs as a last resort, and jigs only on the Vedder.
Pinks are awesome though, great smoked and their roe catches coho.
x4 about wading, they usually sit/move through where some people decide to stand.
I didn't give the buzz bombs a shot in 2013, but may give that a try. I hear people using them on the beaches but never in the river itself. I fished spoons mainly and did pretty good. Which hooks did you use on the buzz bombs?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

marrington03

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 08:07:28 PM »

Waist deep was a bit of an exaggeration, mostly in reference to when the tide pushed the river up to the treeline, as we would spend the entire day on the river.

There's really no wrong way to target pinks(unless you are snagging!)

I personally found any cheap pink spoon(croc, megawatt, etc) casted upstream and left to drift down would yield a fish on every cast.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »

I have never thought of using buzzbombs on the fraser were u successful using them

Animal Chin

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 12:06:10 AM »

I have never thought of using buzzbombs on the fraser were u successful using them

Mind you I fished in Richmond, joined the party on 5 rd..very enjoyable social fishery, and buzz bombs pretty much caught the majority of pinks there for me. Used them like a spoon w/ a slow retrieve. Couple on spoons, when nothing was happening on buzz bombs. Though, the commercial openings did have an impact, noticeable difference on those days. It wasn't a foregone conclusion that you'd get into fish in Richmond last pink season, and it wasn't just me there were a lot of fishers out.

My buddy, who changed to buzzbombs for the first time, and I did well relative to those around us who were primarily using spoons. Though who knows things could change next year, water temps could be different etc.

I used #2 or #1 hooks on the smaller buzz bombs.

On the Vedder, the only pinks I caught were on jigs and that was me changing up to try and present something different to coho.

Though one thing I'm going to do is get my pinks on ice ASAP next season, especially in Squamish, as pinks seem to get mushy quicker than any of the other species despite being picky about what I keep. Must be the heat. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 12:13:19 AM by Animal Chin »

243Pete

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 04:05:01 AM »

I'm going to hope that this is another good year like the previous. Showed some friends how to catch pinks on ultra light spinning gear on the Squamish side. Fraser was alright and there was one good day where you could see fish popping up all over the place at the end of No.3 road in Richmond.

I'm tempted to try some small bead head jigs on a 14g float this season, typically I've caught most of my pinks on spoons and spinners.

Anyone know of any good jig patterns besides the obvious "pink" coloration?  :P

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 10:13:43 AM »

Fly fishing is my favourite way of catching pinks. 6wt.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 11:08:42 AM »

Pinks are light tackle fish. Turns my stomach to see some of the brutal hardware that gets tossed at fish that average 3 to 4 lbs.

Of course fly fishing is my favourite way to catch pinks too, but then it is for everything.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 05:31:58 PM »

When do pinks start up??
see ya on the river

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 05:33:28 PM »

Mind you I fished in Richmond, joined the party on 5 rd..very enjoyable social fishery, and buzz bombs pretty much caught the majority of pinks there for me. Used them like a spoon w/ a slow retrieve. Couple on spoons, when nothing was happening on buzz bombs. Though, the commercial openings did have an impact, noticeable difference on those days. It wasn't a foregone conclusion that you'd get into fish in Richmond last pink season, and it wasn't just me there were a lot of fishers out.

My buddy, who changed to buzzbombs for the first time, and I did well relative to those around us who were primarily using spoons. Though who knows things could change next year, water temps could be different etc.

I used #2 or #1 hooks on the smaller buzz bombs.

On the Vedder, the only pinks I caught were on jigs and that was me changing up to try and present something different to coho.

Though one thing I'm going to do is get my pinks on ice ASAP next season, especially in Squamish, as pinks seem to get mushy quicker than any of the other species despite being picky about what I keep. Must be the heat.

Gonna give the buzzbombs a try for sure. and yes the pinks do become very mushy fast.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2014, 05:59:08 PM »

When do pinks start up??

middle of January!  ;D

No - depends. Howe Sound will be last half of July. The Island end of July early August. Fraser runs usually are the last 10 days of August but fishing usually starts to hum after labour day.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.