Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Stealhead Fishing around whistler area????  (Read 3129 times)

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
Any Stealhead Fishing around whistler area????
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:48:12 PM »

I heading to Whistler Dec 12th.   Might be a stupid question, but around that time what could i be fishing for in that area? is there any rivers that i could target some early steal head?? or even lakes for trout??  I would  love to get on to some fish while im out there. Suggestions!!??

Thanks in advance.

Franky,
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Any Stealhead Fishing around whistler area????
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 05:54:34 PM »

Call Whistler Fly Shop.  Try the Squamish or Lillooet for bulls.  Too early for steelies.

Capilano Mano

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:11:34 PM »

keep in mind the steelhead return later than most other lower mainland rivers too.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »

As said earlier early for steelies by at least a month but the bull trout fishing at this time of year is outstanding with many large fish in the system. As well as the Cheakamus river will still have Northern coho right into January. The lakes can be really good for ice fishing at this time of year if the weather has been cool enough to allow you to walk on them.
always a student

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 01:00:55 PM »

awsome!  cheakamus river?? how far away is that from whistler?? Late coho run and bull's never caught one of those before. could be fun!

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »

You can pretty much forget about steelhead fishing in the Squamish Valley as the Provincial government has more or less manged them into extinction! The Cheakamus is the only river that has any fish left ( last year = 225 fish estimate escapement). Char are the most realistic fish to expect at that time of year and sucess depends largly on water temp. If it get's really cold it can be tough.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »

For the Squamish River and its tributaries, please keep in mind that trout and char are required to be released. ALL steelhead (both wild and hatchery fish) are also required to be released. Hatchery marked coho salmon retention is permitted at certain sections of the river, make sure you are in those areas before considering retaining a hatchery marked coho salmon. Even though fish can be caught until December, most are past their prime by late November and it's best not to target them if you find some staging fish that are ready to spawn.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 05:25:40 PM »

I hit a school with some decent-shape coho mixed in on January 23rd, 2007 while fishing bulls on the Squamish, sure surprised me when a "bull" took out 50 yds backing tailwalking down the pool.  Another Squamish system has late coho as well, but I don't fish that river much.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 05:43:56 PM »

For the Squamish River and its tributaries, please keep in mind that trout and char are required to be released. ALL steelhead (both wild and hatchery fish) are also required to be released. Hatchery marked coho salmon retention is permitted at certain sections of the river, make sure you are in those areas before considering retaining a hatchery marked coho salmon. Even though fish can be caught until December, most are past their prime by late November and it's best not to target them if you find some staging fish that are ready to spawn.

Thanks Rod!! I kinda  just wanted to fish a different river and get on to some fish.  Haven't had a chance to go out in a little while. 

Thanks for the tips.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:31:30 PM »

I hit a school with some decent-shape coho mixed in on January 23rd, 2007 while fishing bulls on the Squamish, sure surprised me when a "bull" took out 50 yds backing tailwalking down the pool.  Another Squamish system has late coho as well, but I don't fish that river much.

Exactly, you are not the only one to have an unexpected surprise after new years. Although rare, it happens.
always a student