Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder river canal disgusting fishing ethics  (Read 8758 times)

BMo86

Re: Vedder river canal disgusting fishing ethics
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2022, 10:00:46 AM »

You should go watch guys stand on the cliff face at Allison pools, snagfest and risking there lives walking around on slippery moss for a dark spring. There's been people fall off there previously in the past and it's not worth the risk of life for a fish  in my opinion.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2022, 11:31:29 AM »

Really, these arent even unethical practices. They're just flat out illegal and against the regs.

Interesting how each spot has it's own 'mini-culture'. Lots of people would might do it at the spot you watched, if others are doing it. But probably wouldn't at other locations where it might not be received as well.
I agree with Dan, some spots are just known as flossing holes where meatheads generally fish. Which honestly on a hatchery river doesn't bother me. Not writing on lisence tho and treating wild/released fish poorly definitely does tho.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2022, 11:41:22 AM »

You should go watch guys stand on the cliff face at Allison pools, snagfest and risking there lives walking around on slippery moss for a dark spring. There's been people fall off there previously in the past and it's not worth the risk of life for a fish  in my opinion.
for some it obviously is
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

sumasriver

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 01:52:54 PM »

DFO need to  be 100% CONSISTENT in fishing regulations .

Snag and Drag for Sockeye  is legal....  Snag and drag for coho/springs is criminal.

This mix messaging only leads to fishers learning terrible fishing technique and then bringing it into coho season.   Until DFO does the right thing and we consistency in the regulations, we will continue to see Wild Coho snagged and dragged up on the beach.     

coastangler

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 02:06:49 PM »

No point in phoning DFO. They never show up.

To reiterate what others said, please do phone in - I did last year after seeing something similar at the Stave with Chum (which was closed) and on the way back to the car, I saw two officers with binoculars checking everyone. This was on a weekend day.

Also and according to this website, you can also contact the local RCMP for fisheries violations https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/natural-resource-stewardship/natural-resource-law-enforcement/conservation-officer-service/cos-rapp
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2022, 02:21:18 PM »

DFO need to  be 100% CONSISTENT in fishing regulations .

Snag and Drag for Sockeye  is legal....  Snag and drag for coho/springs is criminal.

This mix messaging only leads to fishers learning terrible fishing technique and then bringing it into coho season.   Until DFO does the right thing and we consistency in the regulations, we will continue to see Wild Coho snagged and dragged up on the beach.   

I don't see it as mix messaging, People are not doing it out of ignorance they are doing it on purpose because it works.

sumasriver

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 02:24:13 PM »

I don't see it as mix messaging, People are not doing it out of ignorance they are doing it on purpose because it works.

Agreed.  If snagging worked for Sockeye... these guys simply stick with the same technique.   Bad habits learned due to DFO allowing it earlier in the season on the Fraser.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 02:28:36 PM »

X3
It ain't the roe bro'

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2022, 02:48:23 PM »

Agreed.  If snagging worked for Sockeye... these guys simply stick with the same technique.   Bad habits learned due to DFO allowing it earlier in the season on the Fraser.

long leaders are not going away in the absence of a sockeye fishery.  The fishing community has asked for decades now for leader length regulations and the burracy of out inept government cannot get it done.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 02:50:07 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2022, 05:35:35 PM »

long leaders are not going away in the absence of a sockeye fishery.  The fishing community has asked for decades now for leader length regulations and the burracy of out inept government cannot get it done.

The trouble is DFO has looked at this 5 ways from Friday. Back in the early 90s when sockeye opening were first proposed, their big concern was sockeye would be primarily snagged (foul hooked). What they found both in the trial fisheries close to 30 years ago and in subsequent studies is, the large majority of sockeye caught in the floss fishery are legally hooked, that is they meet the definition of hooked in the mouth. Proposals to restrict leader length were more about a selective fishery regulation when the general river sockeye fishery had to be closed and not at a permanent regulatory change so bar fishing for chinook could continue. DFO also has long been keen to avoid tackle regulations that favored one part of the recreational sport fishing community over another. I am also sure  Government at many levels hear more from anglers & other interested parties (guides, tackle shop owners and other local businesses) who don't want flossing terminated.

This discussion is the typical fruit salad ethical debate. to my mind there is a big difference between flossing a white spring that was raised in a hatchery with puling a wild coho 10 or more feet up a gravel bank to determine if it is a fish that has to be released for conservation of that species!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 04:47:19 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2022, 07:49:58 PM »

This discussion is the typical fruit salad ethical debate. to my mind there is a big difference between flossing a hatchery raised white spring that was raised in a hatchery with puling a wild coho 10 or more feet up a gravel bank to determine if it is a fish that has to be released for conservation of that species!

https://youtu.be/aCFU7MooSTU?t=113

sumasriver

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2022, 09:03:50 PM »

That looks like a horrible place to spend 5 minutes of my day....  wow.  Disturbing to watch.

I got into fishing to walk a river and find a peaceful quiet place to relax and enjoy nature.  That looks terrible, no thanks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2022, 07:43:12 AM »

LOL! You are so funny!

I was there yesterday, if not in the same spot. I stopped by to see what  it was like at the end of my day. There was a Fisheries person setup there doing a creel survey. He asked me if I had caught anything while giving me a good look up and down. When I told him I had caught nothing he half smiled and said sardonically "That's because you don't snag!" DFO is fully aware what's going on. It's pretty obvious why this sort of situation happens and it has nothing to do with ethics. To DFO the Vedder is nothing more than a sluice that feeds the ocean fishery. That's it's only purpose.

There is also the question of all our angling 'high mindedness'? How to deal with people who don't  think the way we do? Do we need to think out of the box or is time to create new boxes?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 04:38:39 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2022, 08:23:07 AM »

I did check out that spot too, it does look really bad with all the people shoulder to shoulder.....i wonder how they avoid hooking each other...i just walked around and saw only few had more than 2-3 feet leader.... Even with small leader people were snagging, maybe because fish are all stacked up....

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2022, 10:18:34 AM »

is the rain gone from the long term forcast again wow