Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bears, cougars around capilano river?  (Read 9358 times)

YetiHunter

Re: bears, cougars around capilano river?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »

A couple years ago, I ran into what might have been the biggest black bear I have ever seen, less than a mile from the Cap. Sucker had to go over 400 lbs. Some of those West Van blackies are pretty well fed.
I walk my dog on the north shore pretty often and try to remember to take pepper spray with me. I have never run into a cougar up there, but have no doubt they are around.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »

Why did you call them? What action did you want them to take?

D$

the cap is heavily used, not only by fishermen, but also hikers and tourists. obviously if the CO's felt it was concerning enough to come by, then calling them was the right thing to do.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »

That's a lot of maybes, let's see what the poster says his reasons were.

D$

The fact still stands that he had reason to call them, and you questioning his reasons is pointless.  He did what he felt was right, which it probably is in this situation.
- John A.

dmoney

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 03:40:15 PM »

The fact still stands that he had reason to call them, and you questioning his reasons is pointless..

Two things JAwrey - I'm not "questioning his reasons", I don't know his reason(s) so how can I question them? I'm just asking why he called the conservation officer and what he expected them to do. You've jumped to a conclusion that I'm busting his chops for calling the C.O. From his brief post, I didn't see a reason to call them so I was curious what the reason was.

Secondly, whether my questions are pointless isn't for you to say. I'm sure Gooey can speak for himself, so you probably don't need to defend him, when a) he's not under attack, and b) you don't know what his reasoning was either :)

D$

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »

If it were me I would call because tourists don't understand and/or respect wildlife and what they are capable of and what can happen TO them by our actions

salmonlover

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »

as if i wasnt already a paranoid person. thanks for adding another thing to my list guys :(

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 06:08:29 PM »

dmoney,  when the reason for calling is so obvious, as it is in this case, your question does seem like an attack.
Fish on!

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »

I'm not "questioning his reasons", I don't know his reason(s) so how can I question them?

I'm not sure who told you that you must intimately understand a person's reasoning to question it, but you clearly did question his reasoning.  When you inquired as to why he did it, and asked for further information regarding his decision, you questioned his reasoning.  Furthermore, you posted something that can be construed as nothing other than aggressive.  What, honestly, was the point of that comment?  A couple of us have proposed reasoning, but you sit there and demand his reasoning.  For what purpose, to what end?  I'm not sure why you felt you had to regulate Gooey's use of the C.O. hotline.  If you have a problem with him calling, say so.  But do not post a comment as idle as that.  He had reasons - that's why he called them.  Other reasons have been proposed.  Whatever you hope to gain from the divulgence of his reasoning is likely going to be somewhat similar to what has been posted.

But that's cool, next time I call the hotline I'll ask you first.
- John A.

doja

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 11:36:52 PM »

JAwrey.... He questioned his decision to call, not his reason. He never gave a reason nor did he provided any info about any concerns. You also might want to do your home work before you "tell someone how it is".... ::)  Young kids these days, LOL

dmoney's question is quite valid as I also wondered the same thing.

My "reasoning" for wondering why may not be negative but positive, possibly gaining some insightful knowledge in to the bear/public/CO interaction on the cap from a regular visitor... Just saying. 8)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:30:30 AM by doja »

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:28 AM »

Decision should be based on reason and causation, yes?  By questioning his decision, he has inherently called the reasoning and causation involved into question.  Homework indeed.  The initial issue I had with DMoney is how he phrased the question.  If he really wanted to know what prompted him to call, he could have phrased it in countless different ways, all of which could be friendlier. 

My "reasoning" for wondering why may not be negative but positive, possibly gaining some insightful knowledge in to the bear/public/CO interaction on the cap from a regular visitor... Just saying. 8)

And thats all that needs to be said!  All that should have been said in the first place
- John A.

doja

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »

Decision should be based on reason and causation, yes?  By questioning his decision, he has inherently called the reasoning and causation involved into question.  Homework indeed.  The initial issue I had with DMoney is how he phrased the question.  If he really wanted to know what prompted him to call, he could have phrased it in countless different ways, all of which could be friendlier. 

LOL... so is what you are saying is Dmoney should consult you first just to make sure all is well as you "clearly" know best???

He posted a fair no frills question and YOU attacked him.... Nicely done, LOL

Good to know you are keeping the spirit of the forum alive by attacking a question just because it doesn't meet your standards...

And thats all that needs to be said!  All that should have been said in the first place

I only said it to prevent YOU from attacking me like you did dmoney..... ::)

newb33

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »

Nobody needs to explain nothin dmoney why are you so adamant on knowing why he called I wanna know why you care so much as to ask him the same question twice.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:43:45 PM by newb33 »

dmoney

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »

I'm not sure who told you that you must intimately understand a person's reasoning to question it, but you clearly did question his reasoning.  When you inquired as to why he did it, and asked for further information regarding his decision, you questioned his reasoning.  Furthermore, you posted something that can be construed as nothing other than aggressive.  What, honestly, was the point of that comment?  A couple of us have proposed reasoning, but you sit there and demand his reasoning.  For what purpose, to what end?  I'm not sure why you felt you had to regulate Gooey's use of the C.O. hotline.  If you have a problem with him calling, say so.  But do not post a comment as idle as that.  He had reasons - that's why he called them.  Other reasons have been proposed.  Whatever you hope to gain from the divulgence of his reasoning is likely going to be somewhat similar to what has been posted.

But that's cool, next time I call the hotline I'll ask you first.

Thanks for the laugh JAwrey, it really is amusing how you're taking this personally. You've given a bunch of speculation as to why Gooey called the CO but frankly, no one asked you. Let me make this clear- I'm not interested in why you thought gooey called. Like me, you weren't there. Gooey was, he made the call and I'm curious as to why. I'm sure he had his reasons, I'm not judging, I'm just curious what they are. Personally, I didn't read anything in the post that explained it (bear chowing down on berries, that's what they're supposed to be doing) so I'm asking for clarification.

As for this: "But that's cool, next time I call the hotline I'll ask you first." request denied, in perpituity. You're too cranky, I don't want you calling me under any circumstances.  :D

Gooey- just curious what prompted the call. If you want to keep that your business, that's cool with me :)

D$