Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunkwa Lake.  (Read 1487 times)

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
Tunkwa Lake.
« on: June 28, 2004, 09:47:56 PM »

Advanced Member

Group: Subscribers
Member No.: 3,003

Warn: (0%)

Well to start out let me just sat it was Tunkwa.    

When I arrived, just at dusk I inquired as to where the "Chix" were and I was to Gone Fishin'.  
I quickly geared up my rod with the slime line and headed out to the point to see the girls and fulfill the need to night fish. As I made my way out I saw a heavily bent rod with a fish splashing on the end of the line and it was none other than Deb! She was a woohooing up a storm but alas being net-less she lost it at the boat.  She said it went 18" or better. She informed me that she was going gangbusters with the 52 Buicks that I told her might be the ticket.  

I began fan casting off the point and had 4 good takes on a Minnie Lake Special and then lost the fly on the bottom. I next went with my favorite night pattern which is a black woolly palmered with a grizzley hackle. 2 casts later I had an enormous strike that parted my tippet like it wasn't there.  
A few more casts and I was done as I had a long hot ride up and there were some hugs to be collected.  
The next day Deb, Tina, Sandy, and I spent mostly in cabin bay and got pretty frustrated with the fishing there. Mostly small fish showing when there were any to be seen at all. The women left me as I stubbornly stuck it out and I managed 2 small fish on the chironomid. (green chromie with the red rib). I then tied on a lime green woolly palmered with grizzley and a sedge pattern for the dry-line and prepared to troll out back to the fish resort. Well the sedge hit the water about 40' away and as soon as the line straightened out, BAM a big bow of about 4#s smashed it, flew straight into the air and was gone.  
I had seen like 2 travelers and figured what the hell I'll try one. Unfortunately that would be the only take on it all weekend. As I traveled up the point, I popped 4 fish in quick succession, 3 of exactly 15" and a nicer one of 17". All on the lime woolly trolled about 30' out. (half a cast, too many weeds otherwise)
The next day we slept in a bit so we only fished for about 2 hours. I drove us up to the Provincial side of Tunkwa, and Deb opted for that lake while I decided to try Leighton, as I love that lake and I wanted to see how it was doing.
I tried all my usual haunts and was sorely disappointed.    
2 hrs and only 1 strike and by what felt like a small fish. I saw a grand total of 4 fish jump, and they were no bigger than 12-14". In previous years if I put in 2 hours on this lake, I would have at least 4 fish, one which go into the double digits, forcing me to keep going no matter how tired I was. Which I was.
After I got out I was smugly informed by Deb that I should have stuck with her as she had landed 5 fish in the 17-19" class and had 4 more 52s torn off. (Girls!  )
The water was mainly 68 degrees and the sky was ever changing excepting Sunday when Deb did her best.
The other Chix did REAL well trolling flatfish in perch and frog colours.

Great company, so-so fishing. Mostly weather related I'm thinking.
Cheers!
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re:Tunkwa Lake.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 09:50:00 PM »

chix and fish.sweet.

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
Re:Tunkwa Lake.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 04:39:30 PM »

I my opinion Leighton will take at least 1-2 more years to return to it's former glory. Stick to Tunkwa for good size and numbers of fish.
The bloom is not too prolific YET but it's on the upswing for sure.
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.