Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mouth of the upper Pitt River  (Read 6892 times)

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
Mouth of the upper Pitt River
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:37:28 AM »

Hello,

Going to be camping about a ten minute boat ride from the mouth of the upper Pitt for the long weekend. I have flyfished the beaches of Pitt lake but would like to try fishing a little deeper for bulls at the mouth. Don't have downriggers on the boat but I am bringing up the leadcore lines.

Does anyone have any advice on fishing this area? I am aware that it is in the catch and release section. I am also relatively inexperienced when it comes to trolling for bulls but am thinking plugs and larger presentations.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Mouth of the upper Pitt River
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:21:49 PM »

I once spoke to an oldtimer who had a cabin at Subaico Cove who said that it could be productive for dollies/bulls if you anchored out from shore and cast toward the logs and deadheads along the shore at the head of the lake. I can't vouch it, I just heard it.

If you have a shallow draft watercraft, do fish Red Slough at the upper east end of the lake. When the tides and water levels cooperate, you can get deep into the slough and the fishing for wild cutthroat is exceptional. Go quiet and light and you will have dozens of hook ups. That I can vouch for.       

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 03:39:55 PM »

Only advice i have is to be carefull if out in the boat there.
Is one of the scariest times ive had in a boat.
Was a 16 ft Lund and 25 hp and had jsu tarrived at the mouth.
All of a sudden the wind blew and with the inflowing river etc. the water just started to dance.
There was no right direction as the water was just slapping allmost straight up and down.
Made it over towards the east shore and crawled back pretty much to the launch as the lake went from glass to nasty just like that.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »

Yes i've been in some four foot standing waves by the mouth. Right scarry in the 12 foot boat. The tide still affects the area so if your camping up the river remember that those nice sand beachs can go under water. Usually when your in the tent. :) A for fishing for bulls the river itself might be a good bet.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

work2fish

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 06:41:46 PM »

Pretty sure it's closed at the mouth at least a couple hundred meters out. Theres a boundary marker there. Better read the regs.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 10:16:36 AM »

take a pedal bike with you, boat to the mouth, park boat, ride bike about 20kms up the river and head for water. fish all the nice runs you can get into and have FUN  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »

Pretty sure it's closed at the mouth at least a couple hundred meters out. Theres a boundary marker there. Better read the regs.

Those boundary markers indicated single barbless and wild trout/char release, not fishing closure.

They were put up about 13-14 years ago when there were buckets of wild cutthroat being harvested at the north end of the lake in the Red Slough area. Some anglers expressed concern so MOE did some  consultation and invited public input. I for one called, spoke to Dr Roseneau, and offered my 2 cents tha the wild trout should be protected. It was gratifying to see the signs go up, and the regs be put in place, the following year.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »

Don't those regulations apply to Pitt Lake and the Lower Pitt River as well? Why only have the signs at the mouth of Upper Pitt River? Sorry, never been so just curious.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 10:51:16 PM »

Don't those regulations apply to Pitt Lake and the Lower Pitt River as well? Why only have the signs at the mouth of Upper Pitt River? Sorry, never been so just curious.

No. The rest of Pitt Lake you can retain wild trout/char, per the province wide regulations. The lower Pitt River would still be wild trout/char release, per the province wide regulations.

Red Slough is a nursery for sockeye fry from the Upper Pitt River. Hence the large numbers of wild cutthroat that congregate there. As I mentioned, many years ago the cutts were being heavily harvested by anglers, so the boundaries were put in place to protect them as they are fairly vulnerable and accessible at this location.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »

Interesting. You'd think the entire lake would have a blanket regulation on wild trout and char release since it is connected to anadromous streams, but I guess catch rate is low enough in the rest of the lake and they're not too concerned about it.