Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: so much for our limited recreational pink fishery ...  (Read 18475 times)

Tangles

Re: so much for our limited recreational pink fishery ...
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 11:25:36 PM »

So why the long faces? Is the worry that the nets will catch them all?
Pretty much yes, 2013 had 20+ million pinks return, respectively gillnetters scooped them pretty bad on most days, hence the 5 mil present run..... which is also gonna get a pounding. And that's "just" for pinks, or "dog food" as some people refer to them. How many threatened chinook, coho and sockeye won't make it trough the nets? Well let's go catch them and see, that's the current agenda's ways.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 06:50:15 AM »

You are telling me that commercial fishing is an all-year 'round and financially sustainable job and the ONLY opportunity that one may have to make a living? I'm not debating the reason for this opening here but trying to use this to justify the commercial salmon opening when all indicators are pointing to a poor run is just a joke...

No.  I am telling you that everyone whined and complained that they wouldn't open the river to recreational fishing (the lowest priority fishery) and then then when they finally do open it, moan and groan that they are allowing a limit commercial test opening (a higher priority fishery due to the more direct economic impact to participants).

Don't get me wrong, the Recreational salmon fishery generates substantial (albeit more difficult to track) economic benefit, however, it is a recreation, that is to say fun leisure activity.  While it generates a windfall for tackle  shops and maybe even a small spike in guide services (who needs a guide to catch pinks?), much the way the NHL playoffs generate a windfall for local restaurants and bars,  no one is basing their business plan on the pink run opening.  The same cannot be said for the boat captains who have already lost out on the lucrative sockeye run.  All they have left is pinks and chum.  This limited test fishery is just to see if they can have their own kick at the can. We have had ours.
Not all those who wander are lost

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »

No.  I am telling you that everyone whined and complained that they wouldn't open the river to recreational fishing (the lowest priority fishery) and then then when they finally do open it, moan and groan that they are allowing a limit commercial test opening (a higher priority fishery due to the more direct economic impact to participants).

Don't get me wrong, the Recreational salmon fishery generates substantial (albeit more difficult to track) economic benefit, however, it is a recreation, that is to say fun leisure activity.  While it generates a windfall for tackle  shops and maybe even a small spike in guide services (who needs a guide to catch pinks?), much the way the NHL playoffs generate a windfall for local restaurants and bars,  no one is basing their business plan on the pink run opening.  The same cannot be said for the boat captains who have already lost out on the lucrative sockeye run.  All they have left is pinks and chum.  This limited test fishery is just to see if they can have their own kick at the can. We have had ours.

A balanced position, and a well articulated response.   

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 11:05:34 AM »

A balanced position, and a well articulated response.   

Agreed, too many of us sporties don't realize what we have and are a bunch of self serving babies with no idea of the bigger picture.
always a student

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 11:34:34 AM »

Group hug, dereke :-*

Pinks have been available to the shore angler in North Vancouver, West Vancouver and Howe Sound since early/mid July. If you wanted to eat a pink salmon that you caught yourself, you have had almost 2 months of opportunity to do that. More recently, they have been available in the C/V system while the Fraser remained closed. 

To complain that the Fraser was not open for pinks due to conservation concerns, or to complain about a commerical opening, makes no sense to me. Sorry that you can't fish for pinks in your backyard, but why complain about the 1/10 that your glass is empty when it is 9/10 full?             
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:45:18 PM by clarki »

Robert_G

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 01:14:44 PM »

Allow me to bring some common sense and some really good math into this discussion.

Quote Fishery Notice "FN1001-Salmon: Seine - Area B - Fraser River Pink - Area 29 - Limited Participation Opening - Sept 9, 2015"

"The cumulative individual quota
in pieces for each Area B licence is 1,493 pink based on a share of 0.49107%
and a Canadian Commercial TAC (CCTAC) of 304,000 pink."

Alright....MATH TIME.....
1493 fish x average 5 lbs per fish is just under 7500 lbs of fish per seine licence.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the current LIVE weight price for Pinks is less than .25 cents per pound.
That means each licence will receive about less than $1900 for the entire Pink season.
After all the costs (fuel, staff, boat upkeep, etc, ect, etc), each licence holder will walk away with a few hundred dollars.
Also take into consideration the amount of federal tax dollars (tens of thousands if not more) to pay the idiots who manage this Fraser Salmon fiasco every year.
It is simply not worth it.
It would be cheaper and better for everyone to just give each licence holder a $1000 and send them home....and cheaper for tax payers too.
There is absolutely NO common sense at all being used here at any level of this fishery.

Oh...and I almost forgot....if you're a poor sucker who has an area "H" licence...you only get 400 fish. After costs, that might net you enough profit to take the old lady out for dinner.....
DFO is a joke.

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 01:34:24 PM »

Allow me to bring some common sense and some really good math into this discussion.

Quote Fishery Notice "FN1001-Salmon: Seine - Area B - Fraser River Pink - Area 29 - Limited Participation Opening - Sept 9, 2015"

"The cumulative individual quota
in pieces for each Area B licence is 1,493 pink based on a share of 0.49107%
and a Canadian Commercial TAC (CCTAC) of 304,000 pink."

Alright....MATH TIME.....
1493 fish x average 5 lbs per fish is just under 7500 lbs of fish per seine licence.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the current LIVE weight price for Pinks is less than .25 cents per pound.
That means each licence will receive about less than $1900 for the entire Pink season.
After all the costs (fuel, staff, boat upkeep, etc, ect, etc), each licence holder will walk away with a few hundred dollars.
Also take into consideration the amount of federal tax dollars (tens of thousands if not more) to pay the idiots who manage this Fraser Salmon fiasco every year.
It is simply not worth it.
It would be cheaper and better for everyone to just give each licence holder a $1000 and send them home....and cheaper for tax payers too.
There is absolutely NO common sense at all being used here at any level of this fishery.

Oh...and I almost forgot....if you're a poor sucker who has an area "H" licence...you only get 400 fish. After costs, that might net you enough profit to take the old lady out for dinner.....
DFO is a joke.

Ship to China! It will cost $5-$10 per pound for "wild Canadian Salmon"! 7500x5= $37500 - ~10000 (shipping/freezng)= $27500!, USD! lol

big spring

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 05:05:52 PM »

Commercial opening really do the damage, went out this morning,fish for 3 hours, hardly any pinks get by,manage to land one ,better luck next time.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 05:23:23 PM »

Commercial opening really do the damage, went out this morning,fish for 3 hours, hardly any pinks get by,manage to land one ,better luck next time.

I saw more fish today than the past 4 days combined. There was a ton. I skunked out though.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Aurora

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 07:22:12 PM »

Just returned from Maple Ridge area.  Fished for a couple hours then a school went by.  Next two casts netted two fish.  I think we are still good even with commercials out there.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »

There was very little as in comparison to yesterday at the same time of day.

Aurora

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 08:35:55 PM »

There was very little as in comparison to yesterday at the same time of day.
I had same experience.

243Pete

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 08:37:37 PM »

Saw a lot of risers today on the lower part of the Fraser, hooked one doe but let her go.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »

"There was very little as in comparison to yesterday at the same time of day"

Isn't that always the case-should have been here yesterday ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:39:36 PM by Britguy »

yoda

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »

I totally agree with how slow it got the yesterday. Usually as soon as the tide shifts to flood we see schools rising and finning as they move through. Yesterday was a joke, stayed for the entire flood and saw little or no activity as well as only a few fish on.