Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack/vedder reg question...  (Read 15224 times)

NothingToSnagAbout

Re: Chilliwack/vedder reg question...
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 07:45:56 AM »

What constitutes targeting a specific species, exactly?

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »

Well, under the 'exceptions to regional regulations' on page 24 of the synopsis, under the Chilliwack/Vedder Rivers specification, it reads...

No Fishing upstream of and including Slesse Creek- No prob, that's clear, I know where that is.

Downstream of Slesse Creek to Vedder Crossing Bridge, under the b) hatchery rainbow trout of any length 50cm or less: daily quota = 4, July 1- Apr 30

Downstream or Vedder Crossing, under the c) hatchery rainbow trout of any length 50 cm or less: daily quota = 4, July 1-Apr 30

Hatchery Steelhead daily quota 1

That's where I got the 4 RH 1 sh. Since they seem to consider under 50 Rob and over 50 sh, they are mentioned as different fish.

Not that I expect to actually come even close to those numbers...

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 03:02:04 PM »

Well, under the 'exceptions to regional regulations' on page 24 of the synopsis, under the Chilliwack/Vedder Rivers specification, it reads...

No Fishing upstream of and including Slesse Creek- No prob, that's clear, I know where that is.

Downstream of Slesse Creek to Vedder Crossing Bridge, under the b) hatchery rainbow trout of any length 50cm or less: daily quota = 4, July 1- Apr 30

Downstream or Vedder Crossing, under the c) hatchery rainbow trout of any length 50 cm or less: daily quota = 4, July 1-Apr 30

Hatchery Steelhead daily quota 1

That's where I got the 4 RH 1 sh. Since they seem to consider under 50 Rob and over 50 sh, they are mentioned as different fish.

Not that I expect to actually come even close to those numbers...

Ok, but they are NOT considered different fish, as both the 2 steelhead (or 1 for Chilliwack River as stated in water specific tables) or 1 over 50cm Rainbow (in waters where anadromous trout are NOT present) are included in the 4 trout limit (2 in streams unless specified in water specific tables).

Trout/char: 4, but not more than
• 1over50cm(2hatcherysteelheadover
50 cm allowed)
• 2 from streams (must be hatchery)
• 1 char (bull trout, Dolly Varden, or lake
trout)
Not all those who wander are lost

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 04:09:08 PM »

But doesn't the water specific regulation overturn the regional regulation?

Either way, at my catch rate it's unlikely to become an issue...

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »

That is certainly interesting. I would suggest it's read as 4 trout or char maximum with up to 4 hatchery rainbows under 50cm (overrides the 2 hatchery under 50cm provincially) or 1 hatchery steelhead and 3 hatchery rainbows.  The main thing is the overall quota isn't altered.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 05:36:47 PM »

That is certainly interesting. I would suggest it's read as 4 trout or char maximum with up to 4 hatchery rainbows under 50cm (overrides the 2 hatchery under 50cm provincially) or 1 hatchery steelhead and 3 hatchery rainbows.  The main thing is the overall quota isn't altered.

Right.  The 4 trout total is not trumped, just the limit on 2 from streams (your are allowed 4 from the Chilliwack R.) and the regional limit of 2 steelhead is reduced to 1 on the Chilliwack R.

SilverChaser

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »

Mid-Late summer dry fly trout on a 3wt is killer fun.... if you can wait that long  ::)
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »

COs often look at your gear.  On the Chilliwack R, if you have a small spinning outfit or 3/4wt fly rod you can claim to be targeting trout and whitefish and they will likely believe you, however, if you are spey fishing or using a centrepin, you could be deemed to be targeting steelhead even though you claim to targeting bulls.  If you are using gear normally used to catch steelhead in a river where steelhead are present, it is best to have the stamp, even if you are not really trying to get one.  Remember you need one, even if you are planning to release any steelhead you do catch (unlike salmon stamps).

wizard

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 07:41:54 PM »

imo, I'd define it as species you intend to catch as well as species in the system at present that you have reasonable chance of catching.

Gear is a tough sell because steelhead regularly take the tiniest presentations and light gear is often used.  I sometimes will target steelhead and bull trout using  small 6' spinning set up with no 3 or smaller spinners that would be suitable for trout...   The first two steelhead I ever caught were on a 6 foot spinning rod with light line and small spinner and I had every intention of hooking steelhead.

I think you would have a tough sell trying to convince a co you are targeting trout in system like Chilliwack in winter months when steelhead are abundant no matter the gear.

I'd say If you're fishing a system with steelhead present save yourself the headache and get a tag weather you're "trying" to catch one or not.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 07:42:08 PM »

I'm stamped up to fish for anything but compliments...

Electroman

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 07:59:52 PM »

Mid-Late summer dry fly trout on a 3wt is killer fun.... if you can wait that long  ::)

Sounds like a good time ..... and no

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »

imo, I'd define it as species you intend to catch as well as species in the system at present that you have reasonable chance of catching.

Gear is a tough sell because steelhead regularly take the tiniest presentations and light gear is often used.  I sometimes will target steelhead and bull trout using  small 6' spinning set up with no 3 or smaller spinners that would be suitable for trout...   The first two steelhead I ever caught were on a 6 foot spinning rod with light line and small spinner and I had every intention of hooking steelhead.

I think you would have a tough sell trying to convince a co you are targeting trout in system like Chilliwack in winter months when steelhead are abundant no matter the gear.

I'd say If you're fishing a system with steelhead present save yourself the headache and get a tag weather you're "trying" to catch one or not.

While steelhead will take small presentations (single egg pattern is a favourite of mine), it is the small rod that would get you off the hook in that case (pun intended).  You can intercept any fish in the system by chance, but landing a steelhead on such a small rod would be difficult, so "targeting" steelhead with a 3/4 wt Rod would be foolish, therefore, the argument you are targeting small trout and whitefish would be completely acceptable (and many people do just that).  What you cannot do is tie a single egg on an 8wt and try to convince the officer you just want to catch Bulls.  Since you are just as likely to catch (and land) a steelhead as a bull trout using that gear, you would likely be ticketed, just as if you tied on a big pink or blue Popsicle on the 3 wt.  You may really be targeting Bulls, but the larger fly could get you in trouble as it increases the likelihood you are trying to catch steelhead (though you are more likely I break your rod). Then, like you said, it is best to have the tag.  I had this very conversation with officers this summer during the Fraser Salmon closure (remember when one could fish for other species but not for salmon).

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 09:51:28 PM »

The real question is, if steelhead are the fish of a thousand casts, how many casts for a rainbow?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 06:12:59 AM »

depends how many rainbow are around, what they are eating (if anything) and what you are fishing with.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 10:11:35 AM »

Will rainbow trout take steelhead flies? And vice versa?