Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fraser River Today, Sockeye Activity  (Read 11126 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Fraser River Today, Sockeye Activity
« on: August 28, 2018, 06:07:03 PM »

Filmed this today while cleaning up some garbage. One could laugh and cry, more of the latter in my books. https://youtu.be/lYofhP-mBHY

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: The Fraser River Today, Sockeye Activity
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »

Definitely not very impressive.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »

Should allow retention of fouled hook sockeye in meat fishery.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »

Should allow retention of fouled hook sockeye in meat fishery.
Of course 99% 0f fish taken are foul hooked, side of the mouth that is why I gave it up a long time ago. Of course people have justification for it all as we have heard many times.

I no longer discuss the subject like a few of us did for many years, got us nowhere.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 07:29:48 PM »

Of course 99% 0f fish taken are foul hooked, side of the mouth that is why I gave it up a long time ago. Of course people have justification for it all as we have heard many times.

I no longer discuss the subject like a few of us did for many years, got us nowhere.

Its something that many of us younger ones were not even around for, this was said by a member on a different forum. I don't think anyone thinks the sport take of 5% of the run is harmful to the run, However  ....the floss fishery on a whole is really effective on the Fraser Chinooks.. much more then a bar fishery.... One does wonder if they delayed the opening of chinook on the river till august beacuse they anticipated them getting intercepted in sockeye fisheries.

"Yup. well aware of it, was on the board of director of Steelhead society in the late 80's when that discussion was going on. There were many discussion that were talked about, myself & others considered this a major turning point in angling, for that matter anglers behavior which it did bring a new breed of angler to the rivers regarding all aspect of angling. ( salmon & steelheading). ..but what the point here? are you saying are 5% is the down fall or we shouldn't have access to these fish in abundance years?"

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 08:37:19 PM »

Hey Back'in up the bar is an old Fraser tradition!

What do you guys want he released the belly hooked fishy didn't he?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 10:18:55 PM »

Its something that many of us younger ones were not even around for, this was said by a member on a different forum. I don't think anyone thinks the sport take of 5% of the run is harmful to the run, However  ....the floss fishery on a whole is really effective on the Fraser Chinooks.. much more then a bar fishery.... One does wonder if they delayed the opening of chinook on the river till august beacuse they anticipated them getting intercepted in sockeye fisheries.

"Yup. well aware of it, was on the board of director of Steelhead society in the late 80's when that discussion was going on. There were many discussion that were talked about, myself & others considered this a major turning point in angling, for that matter anglers behavior which it did bring a new breed of angler to the rivers regarding all aspect of angling. ( salmon & steelheading). ..but what the point here? are you saying are 5% is the down fall or we shouldn't have access to these fish in abundance years?"

The delayed opening of chinook probably has more to do with the fact the stocks that come through the Fraser in late summer aren't hurting as bad as the earlier timed stocks

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 10:41:12 PM »

Marching up the bank, rod slung over shoulder.

Turn.

Run and reel like hell.

Marching up the bank, rod slung over the shoulder.

Turn.

Reel while backing up.

Beach fish on sand.

And...release

Like a perfectly choreographed dance.

dave c

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 04:15:43 AM »

Wow

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »

At least he takes good care of his gear !

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »

On the scale of bad ways to do it, this is pretty low. The fish wasn't pulled 20 or more feet up the bank across a series of rocks, lifted for a photo, examined by 5 'experts' to determine if it's a keep-able species and then released after being out of the water for over a minute was it?

Sure better to keep it in but it went back in the water fairly quickly.

I really don't understand this kind of shaming. Perhaps it would be better to have a short chat than record and post?

Having fished local rivers for over 50 years all I can say it was always bad. Snagging was proliferate and many snagged and non-retainable species taken in the 60s and 70s, perhaps more commonly than today.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:14:52 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »

I don't care how a guy reels in his fish. The guy could have tried to keep the the fish in the water to release it but really the fish would have thrashed around more that would have put more sandy water into its gills - but that would flush quickly. I don't have much issue with that either.

What I personally don't like is the day we're in where someone can walk up behind you and start videoing your business and then post it online for others to see and pick apart for the good or on a chance like this example where the guy doesn't do everything perfectly but is now subject to humiliation (depending on how thick his skin is) from family, friends and acquaintances.

Sure the poster of this video says he doesn't discuss this anymore but presenting a video like this in my opinion is not very impressive. No, I don't like this but then again nobody said I had to like it either.

To me it looked like a nice day on the water with the three generations of family. A fish was foul hook and promptly released. Looks like a kid asks why did get released and it looks to me like an answer was given by Gramps. To me this is great.

If the family or the angler sees the posting and negative comments he (they) are likely not going to feel very good about this. I know I personally would be pissed if I saw something like this about me.

This is my opinion and it's the only one that really matters to me but I can always change my opinion whenever I like.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 09:53:33 AM »

Probably more sand in his reel than in the fish

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »

Probably more sand in his reel than in the fish

It's a grinder. Sharp whack on the rocks likely didn't add any value to the rod either. Maybe that's how they treat their gear all the time? I'm guessing that wasn't the first time.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »

Surprises me the old guy didn't say anything about being filmed and now it's posted on the Internet for all to see and pass judgement. Want something to bitch about? How about filming all the chinooks getting tossed back into the river after drowning in a gill net.