Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wader recommendations?  (Read 1732 times)

ajransom

Wader recommendations?
« on: April 18, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »

My old Orvis waders are leaking and beyond repair. I am looking for recommendations for breathable waders that wont break the bank - something reasonably priced but DURABLE. My boots are still good, so looking for stockingfoot.

Thanks.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Wader recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »

How much do you fish?
Do you do alot bushwackimg?
Cheap/inexpensive waders will do for most trail walking but where you go a little further you'll put extra wear and tear on them.
Much like buying a vehicle...
Know what you want to do when you get them.

A Honda civic won't get you far off road even if it gets you there....

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Wader recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 05:51:39 PM »

How much do you fish?
Do you do alot bushwackimg?
Cheap/inexpensive waders will do for most trail walking but where you go a little further you'll put extra wear and tear on them.
Much like buying a vehicle...
Know what you want to do when you get them.

A Honda civic won't get you far off road even if it gets you there....

You'd be surprised what a 2 door coupe can go up in the right hands! (Went into a lake, buddy asked if I got my car in there and said "I'm impressed".  He drives a tundra)

But yes there are limitations, make sure you get something that matches what you plan to do.  Ie. Float tubes = breathable killers.  Currently I am very happy with my simms headwaters.  My freestones were also quite nice as I got a lot out of them before they got killed by a float tube.

What's your budget? The freestones are the cheaper option, I believe 4 layer toray while the headwaters are gore tex with 3 layers in the lower leg.  The freestones I had were 2 models removed though.