Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 24th 2009: Back to 50%  (Read 972 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, March 24th 2009: Back to 50%
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:51:44 PM »

Started the day out thinking that I was going to head to Kawkawa Lake with a few friends to fish for kokanee. Plans changed later in the day because of the pouring rain and not wanting to sit in a float tube for 4 hours soaking wet. Decided that I would hit the Vedder for the 6th time this March, and try to get back to 50% on the trips after being skunked on the last one.

Ryan texts me at around 1:30 and we decide to meet at Fred's. We walk in for a quick chat with Chris and decide on the area we will be fishing (got in on the hot spot  ;) ) We get to the lower part of the river, walk out of the parking lot and...  :(  Water is really chalky with about a foot (maybe a little more) of visibility. I stare at the water for a few minutes deciding whether to stay. I say we may as well fish it, we are here. Plan was to give it a half an hour and then head to the upper.

We get to the first run and I fish it for 20 minutes, maybe. I have a blue and black Bent Rod's jig on at the moment as I don't normally fish dirty water (confidence issue). I pack my rod up and walk towards Ryan who is not even halfway down the run. I say screw it, I'm leaving. Ryan tells me to stay because there are fish around, then compromises with me to stay for another 30 mins.

I take the jig off and rig up a 8 pound maxima leader with a gammy hook. I take out 2 peices of old spring roe from september (they were already huge and it looked like I had a baseball on the end of my line). The roe is pretty nasty looking, freezer burnt and just not great all together, but who cares, the fish can only see a foot and I'm not wasting good roe in this water. I also seem to have a knack at catching fish on crappy roe, as the last one I landed was taken on frozen roe  ;D First cast, FISH ON!  ::)  :o  I yell to Ryan and he comes running down towards me.

After the hook-set I somehow tangled the string hanging off my jacket hood around my reel.... Now I cant reel in, great  ::) I am almost to the point of cutting it when I finally get it off. During this time the fish had been taking line and coming back towards me so I had to keep walking backwards to keep tension on  ::) The fish glides in about a minute later, a very chrome hatchery doe. First hatch of the season, and last time I let one go, it took me the rest of the season to finally get another so she gets dispatched.

I give my friend the roe and head to Fred's to weigh her in. 7 something was her official weight. Brought her home, fellet her and got out the roe which is very small and immature. While felleting my friend wants more roe, so I take him more crappy freezer burnt spring roe that I wont use any other time besides now. I sit and chat for 30 mins or so and then leave to drop off a fillet at my grandparents house, then came home and ate the fish  ;D

Another point of interest..... the fry are everywhere now. Saw tones yesterday and today. Cutty fishing should be very good pretty quick, along with my favorite, COLORADOS!

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Chilliwack River, March 24th 2009: Back to 50%
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:01:06 PM »

Nice job on the hatch ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:39:04 AM »

This kid is too funny, hooks a fish and gets his hoody string wrapped up in his reel (must have got a little to excited). He cant do anything so he keeps walking backwards.....By the time we got the reel untangled, the fish was exhausted and he reels it in.  ;D

I wish I could have got it on video. ;)
The Bigger The Better!

Morty

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:58:43 PM »

great story Every Day - there's always an adventure out there isn't there?
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"