Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat Camping - Alouette/Golden Ears  (Read 7778 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Boat Camping - Alouette/Golden Ears
« on: June 30, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »

Hey Folks, I am curious to learn a bit about the boat-in camping on Alouette.  Is it typically really busy?  Is it hard to find?

I have a 14' with a 15hp and a 50lb electric.  Is this sufficient for this body of water?

I assume we just park at the south end and launch from there?

There isn't much detail on the Provincial Park website;

"Rustic marine campsites are located on Alouette Lake at Moyer Creek, The Narrows and Alouette River (north end of the lake)."

Anyone know where Moyer Creek is?  The Narrows seems pretty self explanatory, the campground must be hard to miss?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:23:12 PM by Damien »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Boat Camping - Alouette/Golden Ears
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 02:20:28 PM »

I live 10 minutes from there. Camping is full right now but should empty by the end of the day. It fills up FAST on summer weekends so best be getting there a day or two early. Just your average provincial campgrounds. Your boat is totally fine but beware the the boat launch during summer is a zoo full of ski boats. The lake traffic will be huge with this weather.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 05:16:02 PM »

Want to know how busy it is? Today they closed down the park because it was over crowded. They closed the gates and werent letting anyone in. If someone left they would allow another vehicle in.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:05:52 PM »

Hey Folks, I am curious to learn a bit about the boat-in camping on Alouette.  Is it typically really busy?  Is it hard to find?

I have a 14' with a 15hp and a 50lb electric.  Is this sufficient for this body of water?

I assume we just park at the south end and launch from there?

There isn't much detail on the Provincial Park website;

"Rustic marine campsites are located on Alouette Lake at Moyer Creek, The Narrows and Alouette River (north end of the lake)."

Have a read through here:

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=59&pos=0

Anyone know where Moyer Creek is?  The Narrows seems pretty self explanatory, the campground must be hard to miss?
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »

there are several well used lakeside spots, Moyer creek is a busy spot at the narrows, the far end of your view from the launch. At the very far end of the lake is a large beach that gets heavy use also.

Apart from that there are many spots you can beach a boat and camp, though some are well hidden. Follow  the shoreline on either side and look for a spot, remembering there are huge stumps EVERYWHERE just below the surface.

Two good ones are just a few minutes up the west side from the launch, and are separated by a small creek and private.

Bring firewood and bug spray.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:40:50 PM »

leadbelly gives you great advice. Use your boat and create your own campsite. This way you avoid the boat launch other than getting your stuff to your own campsite. That boat launch is crazy and stupid in the summer.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:34:39 PM »

That makes sense.  I didn't know how much any rangers or possible vigilantes would crash the party if we just 'created' a campsite lakeside somewhere along the shore.

We wound up camping and crabbing out of Porteau Cove and it was GLORIOUS. 

I will take this information under advisement, it would be nice to boat camp with relative privacy.