Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing for Salmon on the Fraser from shore around chilliwack  (Read 2042 times)

slovakfisher12

Fishing for Salmon on the Fraser from shore around chilliwack
« on: August 06, 2011, 11:47:48 PM »

Hey everyone, does anyone know if places like peg leg or island 22 will be fishable from shore or a short wade-in in about a week? I am coming from PG to do some fishing for 4 days and I am wondering what to prepare for. Any information is wonderful! I do not have a boat so shore fishing on the Fraser is one of the only options. I do however have a canoe if that helps.

Thank for the help

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: Fishing for Salmon on the Fraser from shore around chilliwack
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:00:03 AM »

Haven't been up that way yet this year - but the water levels are still fairly high out in the between the Mission / Maple Ridge area.  It should continue to drop but unsure what will be accessible in 4 days.

Bring bug spray!
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »

The Fraser River is still running relatively high for this time of year.  You can shore fish from Island 22, but unless you are willing to pay $5 per day to park in the main park, you will have to park at some of the pull out spots and then walk in.  Although Peg Leg will not be accessible by foot, you could canoe over and then have acess to the bar. That is the only spot I would recommend using the canoe. The Fraser has a very strong current, and throw in boaters travelling at a pretty good speed,  using the canoe would not be a good idea. Also on the roads leading to Peg Leg there should be plenty of spots to fish off of the rocks down by the shore line of the Fraser. If you are lucky the Pinks may  be starting to work there way up to that secton of the Fraser the week you are here.

slovakfisher12

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 12:39:14 PM »

Thank you for all the advice so far. I am still hoping that the fishing improves before I get there. I am bringing my waders so maybe that will help. Anyone have recent pictures of how the river is shaping up around that area?

skunked

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »

could try around gill around the boat launch water is still very high and islands just barely starting to show i wouldn't take the canoe out as there is still some decent debris floating down and the water is fast