Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: White and Red in one outing on the Fraser, August 23rd & 24th 2008  (Read 3684 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: White and Red in one outing on the Fraser, August 23rd & 24th 2008
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 06:30:03 PM »

being new to the scene I am wondering, if bottom bouncing is a shameful thing to do on the Fraser, then what other method would you use besides bar fishing? I just don't see how else you could target fish on the Fraser with the poor visibility. I can see on a river like the Vedder, there are other more socially acceptable and at the same time productive fishing methods, but the Fraser? Let me know if I am missing something.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 08:02:30 PM »

The real shame is that all you computer jockey's do is whine and b!tch about it to your fellow sporties on these forums (other than a few members who are actively working towards what they want done).

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 08:23:05 PM »

so are you saying that you use large spin and glo's like you would a spinner? or are you still bar fishing them? Just curious, I am not trying to get into an argument just interested, as "shameful" as it might be it was an amazing fishing experience for both my brother and I.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 10:17:24 PM »

other than a few members who are actively working towards what they want done.

I guess you fall into that category. I never singled anyone out with my post, I was just sticking with the "it's a shame" theme.

If you use the educational technique on the river why not use it here? Rather than a post that is likely to put others on edge. How does the saying go? "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 11:07:27 PM »

being new to the scene I am wondering, if bottom bouncing is a shameful thing to do on the Fraser, then what other method would you use besides bar fishing? I just don't see how else you could target fish on the Fraser with the poor visibility. I can see on a river like the Vedder, there are other more socially acceptable and at the same time productive fishing methods, but the Fraser? Let me know if I am missing something.

hue-nut, for barfishing instruction, here is a good thread that outlines what you need:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=14513.0

Here is a video that demonstrates what to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdJnTb1laWA

Barfishing would be the main method used to properly target chinook salmon in the Fraser this time of the year. Earlier in the season when freshet taking place, creek mouths have more water so spincasting or baitfishing can be done at those locations.

No need to feel shameful about catching these fish by flossing. People make a decision to use whatever legal method to catch their fish and they have to live with that decision. I may not like it and have never participated in it, but will try not to condemn those who do it. If I am so repulsed by it, I'd be proactive in making changes at where a difference can be made. Anyway, just clarifying and will end here before wasting more valuable time.

FYI, I was not rolling my eyes at your catches in the previous post. I'm rolling my eyes at myself for allowing racial slanders to continue on the discussion forum.

Good luck.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 12:23:06 AM »

Ive surely done something about it Dion.
Unless you have a crystal ball you shouldnt assume what i have or havent done regarding this issue.
It is a farce and any true fisherman knows what it is.
Legal or not legal doesnt make it right.

I wont say any more on this subject.
At least this year. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 09:06:50 AM »

Re: Chinook salmon opportunities after August.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada normally implement regulation changes on Lower Fraser salmon fishing to coincide with the run timing of Interior coho salmon. These changes vary from no salmon fishing completely, to species-specific openings with a bait ban.

For 2008, on the mainstem Fraser we are implementing a no fishing for coho and sockeye with a bait ban in the area below markers located 3km above the confluence of the Harrison and the Fraser and a no fishing for salmon above this area.  This is the same opportunity that was provided in 2006 that allows for opportunities for chinook heading to the Harrison and Chilliwack systems.  The areas upstream of Sawmill Creek will be no fishing for salmon as well effective Sept 17th.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 03:47:15 PM »

Dion, your shooting in the dark saying most of us are whiners and dont do nothing about it, I'm pretty sure the time and the 3000$ i donated last year come into play some where.

perhaps if some of these "flossers" get heckled they will think twice about posting "flossed" fish and actually try to get them to bite.

btw Dion feel free to delete this post and if you do you can delete my account while your at it.

jj

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 06:28:09 PM »

Posts have been deleted since mine? I've been out fishing. PM me to fill me in please.