Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a day off this week for fishing: where to go?  (Read 4293 times)

eat_sleep_fish

I have a day off this week for fishing: where to go?
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »

So, I have a day off this week and can go fishing.  Where should I go?  I've lived in Vancouver for 10 years, but have never fished many of the spots: never been to the Squamish, Chealis, Chekamus, Chilliwack/Vedder or Marquam.   I usually do my fishing up in the Skeena watershed for salmon/steelhead so haven't felt the need to combat fish on the vedder.  But want to head out one day this week, either steelhead or trout fishing.

I am a little more interested in the chance to hook a dolly/bull trout than a steelhead, but don't really care, just want to get out, and do some exploring and see some of the waters that I should have been fishing for the past 10 years.  I am young, in decent shape, and don't mind hiking, and would rather cover a lot of water and hike around than share the same pool with 20 people for 8 hours straight.  I've got a steelhead license already, 5wt and 8wt fly rod, waders,boots and lots of flies.

So, where should I go and check out?

Thanks,

Rob

JordsyU

Re: I have a day off this week for fishing: where to go?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »

Your best chance to catch a fish is going to be the vedder. Plus you can cover a lot of water. The chehalis is a good place for a hike, however, I find it hard to fly fish due to the tight river banks. I believe every system is producting right now, so just roll the dice on what system you would prefer to see.

Good luck
Beako for Life

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »

hit the vedder i was on it today and finally land my first fly rod steelie which was a sixteen pound doe.

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

eat_sleep_fish

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »

Alright Vedder it is!  What about this Marquam (sp?) river?   Will be taking my 8wt fly rod and trying to steelies then!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »

the Mamquam river is a tributary of the Squamish river. the Cheakamus is also a tributary of the Squamish river  ;)

the Vedder/Chilliwack and Chehalis rivers are seperate all on their own.

good luck  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

mike123

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »

If your looking for a high probability of catching a fish, the Vedder should be your top choice. Now, if you are looking for a good fly fishing river, then the Squamish is prime. Its main run timing is March, April, May so now is a good time to hit it. Look for tides to push fish up the river, especially the lower. Furthermore, its relatively empty as opposed to the carney gathering that the Vedder is. If you want a pleasant, day with bull trout keeping you company in between steelhead (if you should be so lucky) give the Squamish a try.

As for the Mamquam, its runs have some issues due to logging. Your call on that one.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 10:24:43 PM »

Depends on what you are looking for.

Relaxing peaceful day anywhere other than the Chilliwack/Vedder
But if you don't mind a good number of people, or wondering if your car will be either broken into or stolen, the garbage then the Chilliwack is for you - It does have a high angler success rate

eat_sleep_fish

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »

Cool.  Well, going to hit the Vedder then, always wanted to check it out.  I've got a BC Backroads mapbook that lists the "famous" pools, and will probably stop in at this Fred's place I hear so much about. 
Thanks,

Rob

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:55:07 AM »

alot of those so called famous pools dont exist because of flooding and river changes however some of them do still exist and do still produce but nothing like they did before.
Check out our new blog

refrigeration86

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:24:42 AM »

cant go wrong with the vedder, however it can be busy durring weekends

eat_sleep_fish

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 11:52:34 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations. Went out to the Vedder on Monday this week, hung out around the Keith Wilson bridge mainly, but hiked around.   Got skunked but had fun.  Decided to pickup some Simms fingerless neoprene gloves at Freds in the morning, that sure made my day comfortable at least!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 01:52:49 AM »

take the gloves back and get the windproof fleece ones(ones with flaps). Trust me they make a world of difference being windproof.

speaking of this i need to go buy the thin windproof neoprene type ones for cold days lake fishing  ;D flaps get in the way single hand casting
Check out our new blog

dan-o

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 05:41:00 AM »

fishing the upper squamish and upper chekamus can be really productive for dollies at this time of year with egg patterns. no need to fight the crowds and the scenery is beautiful.

eat_sleep_fish

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »

fishing the upper squamish and upper chekamus can be really productive for dollies at this time of year with egg patterns. no need to fight the crowds and the scenery is beautiful.

I think that'll be the next water that I hit this year.  Never been to the squamish or any of the tribs, going to try to hit that a few times in the next few months

dan-o

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 07:25:38 AM »

if you head to squamish give me a call there  778 231 7736, i work month on month off and just finishing a trip, so will have the next month free to fish.