Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CKNW Herring Sale Cancelled for Nov. 27  (Read 10970 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: CKNW Herring Sale Cancelled for Nov. 27
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 12:11:35 AM »

The piers/breakwaters in North Vancouver and Vancouver produce perch. I prefer to use a spinning rod around 8 feet in length, with a small spinning reel spooled with 4lb test. A tiny free-running weight is threaded onto the main line, a swivel is tied onto the end of the main line. A leader around 1 to 2 feet is tied on, followed by a size 8 to 14 hook.

For herring, the gear is pretty much similar. The line test should be a bit higher. Many years ago, we fished for herring in Port McNeil. A friend of mine managed to hook 5 at once, which is not unusual. The little spinning rod was bent to the max, as each herring was the size of those catchable rainbow trout they released into lakes around here.

IamCanadian

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 10:37:45 PM »

OK...so let me get this straight, a herring jig is just a piece of ine with a few hooks on it to snagg the fish? If so, can't I just tie my own instead of spending the money? And does anyone know when and where does this herring season start?

Thanks. Ian

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 10:40:14 PM »

Ian, the fish are not snagged, the fish are actually biting onto these hooks with the little artificial scale on it. Your slow jigging motion through a school of herring will usually yield some fish. You can certainly tie your own, but that's a bit hassle.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 10:54:02 PM »

As Rodney said, the herrings actually bite the little hooks. The little beads and foil on the small hooks imitate plankton which the herrings feed on. The jigs are really cheap; they only cost $2.00 at Army and Navy.

IamCanadian

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 05:23:28 PM »

ok... ???...so, if i buy the hooks at Army and Navy, I don't need to put any bait on the hooks. All I have to do is just chuck the line out and lightly reel it in and hope for bites? But can I just tie my own hooks and use actual bait rather than imitation? And once again, can anyone tell me where and when to fish for this type of fish?

Thanks. Ian ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 05:45:26 PM »

That's right.

IamCanadian

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 10:54:11 PM »

anyone?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 11:01:37 PM »

ok... ???...so, if i buy the hooks at Army and Navy, I don't need to put any bait on the hooks. All I have to do is just chuck the line out and lightly reel it in and hope for bites?

Thanks. Ian ;D

It's a herring jig. It's designed to be jigged up and down.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 11:06:23 PM »

Ian, spend the $2 to get the jig, it's much cheaper, more effective than tying one yourself.

You should be able to get them down at Jericho pier or any shore location in Burrard Inlet this winter. Not all the time, since they are constantly moving.

IamCanadian

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 07:08:29 PM »

Thanks. But if any of u guys seem to have luck fishing for herring in the burrard inlet, please post it, as I am very eager in trying to jig for herring.

Ian ;D