Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: STURGEON FROM SHORE?  (Read 12068 times)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: STURGEON FROM SHORE?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 10:19:37 AM »

So if I am interested in catching one of these beauties from shore and I live in North Van would I be better off finding a hole in Richmond area or the Surrey area???  either location would be good for me I am just wondering which location would be more productive
Thx TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006, 12:02:41 PM »

You cannot get a big fish to your boat. When the big fish is on you have to pull anchor its the only way to land them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2006, 12:27:01 PM »

So if I am interested in catching one of these beauties from shore and I live in North Van would I be better off finding a hole in Richmond area or the Surrey area???  either location would be good for me I am just wondering which location would be more productive
Thx TR

Go with Surrey

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2006, 12:38:54 PM »

From Washington state fisheries:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news05/05109.html

DFG Urges Anglers to Catch and Release with Care

The Department of Fish and Game (DFG) is encouraging anglers to exercise care when they fish “catch and release” waters or land non-target species. When anglers catch and release fish that are too large, too small, or are restricted species, proper handling of the fish is imperative in order to protect and preserve California’s fish populations.

Caught fish will benefit when anglers use the following techniques:

For all species, these general guidelines apply for both tackle and technique:
• Use unscented artificial lures (no bait) to minimize deep hooking. Barbless hooks or hooks with flattened barbs make unhooking easier and less stressful on the fish.
• Use tackle strong enough to bring the fish in quickly and reduce exhaustion.
• Avoid stainless steel hooks.
• Avoid and replace treble hooks on lures, especially with saltwater species.
• Land fish as carefully and quickly as possible, and avoid playing the fish to exhaustion.
• Use an appropriate sized landing net to assist in catching, handling, and releasing the fish. Small knotless mesh nets are easiest on fish.
• Try to avoid removing the fish from the water.

Once a fish is landed, these steps will help reduce stress on the fish:
• Use wet hands or wet cotton gloves when handling the fish.
• Do not squeeze the fish or touch its eyes or gills.
• Remove only those hooks that are seen and removed easily, otherwise clip the line near the mouth on deeply hooked fish.
• Remove the hook quickly. Underwater unhooking and release is preferred.
• Avoid having the fish hit the deck of the boat or flop around on the shore.
Minimize the time the fish is out of the water.

For reviving and releasing the fish:

• Hold the fish horizontally and upright facing into the current.
• Gently move the fish forward and backwards until it swims away on its own.
• For fish that have buoyancy issues, have a release device (such as a weighted plastic crate) on hand and ready.

Some marine and anadromous fish require additional care due to their size or the depths at which they are caught. For instance, sturgeon are prone to overharvesting because they mature late, spawn episodically, live long, and grow to be very large. To limit harvest and preserve the best spawners, it is only legal to possess sturgeon 46 to 72 inches long. Careful handling of all sturgeon to be released is important for the species’ survival, especially the oversize sturgeon. Oversize sturgeon are very powerful and often difficult to handle protectively. They are best left in the water and should never be lifted (or snared) by the gill cover.

“All too often we see pictures of anglers improperly holding up sturgeon and other fish that they intend to release,” said DFG Wildlife Inland Fisheries Division Deputy Director Sonke Mastrup. “Sturgeon are especially vulnerable to being damaged, especially oversized fish that the angler wants to get a quick picture before releasing it.”

In the parts underlined - it seems to me that bringing in a large sturgeon onto the shore makes the job of safe catch and release a lot more difficult then on a boat.

No?

Am I being too "sensitive"?

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 12:43:25 PM by dennisK »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2006, 01:09:42 PM »

I wouldnt say you are being sensative. If you ever want to experience Sturgeon fishing come out with me for a day and I will show you what its like. I would say 90% of the fish we catch we can get the hook out of them from the side of the boat. Its those fish that are about 7' and over that make it difficult to land without pulling anchor. Caring for the mortality rate of any fish is not a bad thing infact its a good thing.

After reading your posts more carefully I see you are just caring and not just badgering people. The more educated people are the better and from the looks of things it seems as though you are doing your research.

When we beach fish we usually don't take the fish completely out of the water. We will infact leave them in enough water so that their gills are atleast half covered in water. If we want a picture we will get in the water with the fish, than all of us will lift the fish out of the water for a quick pic and off he goes.

Here is a pic of a 7 footer I got last year to show what I mean.

Their was only two of us when we caught this fish. So we could not lift him up for a pic. So we left him in the water and after the pic we got him back out into the river.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2006, 01:24:28 PM »

I see, the fish is still in the water but only sort of on the beach,  I was thinking it more dragged right up on the sand and not water.

Thanks Bryan.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2006, 02:09:15 PM »

Interesting thread guys. Good info if I ever decide to try Sturgeon fishing.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2006, 03:10:45 PM »

OK I should not have said "cannot" I should have said it is difficult. How did they get it "IN" the boat? Its its an 11 footer its got to have weighed well over 300lbs.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2006, 03:40:29 PM »

You cannot get a big fish to your boat. When the big fish is on you have to pull anchor its the only way to land them.
So untrue Brian.I have a pic of my bros 11 footer that they landed in the boat.They did give chase to it and after about 45 mins finally managed to get it along side the boat for pics and a quick release.

Read your post again that I just quoted.  " I have a pic of my bros 11 footer that they landed "IN" in the boat. "

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2006, 05:11:59 PM »

Which part of my post do you not understand?????They didn't get it' in' the boat.They got it while fishing from a boat.All i am saying here is there is no need to drag a sturgeon to shore to land it,No matter how big it is.

You were dissecting my comment so I decided to dissect yours. What part of that don't YOU understand? So lets see this pic of these guys not on shore and releasing an 11 footer. You did say you would post the pic.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2006, 05:57:03 PM »

You were dissecting my comment so I decided to dissect yours. What part of that don't YOU understand? So lets see this pic of these guys not on shore and releasing an 11 footer. You did say you would post the pic.

Just a case of misusage of preposition there, I don't think both parties need to get worked up about it. What PH was meant to say is, "I have a pic of my bros 11 footer that they landed on the boat.", which would imply that the anglers landed the fish on the boat, but the fish was not landed in the boat.

Do we have a English prof in here? Correct me if I am wrong please. ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2006, 06:16:39 PM »

Just a case of misusage of preposition there, I don't think both parties need to get worked up about it. What PH was meant to say is, "I have a pic of my bros 11 footer that they landed on the boat.", which would imply that the anglers landed the fish on the boat, but the fish was not landed in the boat.

Do we have a English prof in here? Correct me if I am wrong please. ;)

I understood what he meant right from the get go. Rod go read the Xmas lights thread and see what I said about my sense of humour ;)

I still want to see this 11 footer landed beside the boat because thats no easy task and I have my doubts.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2006, 07:00:14 PM »

I have the picture with the mission bridge in the back ground.I have no scanner but i will do my best to get it on here asap,Just for you brian since you seem to be an expert on this. ;D :D ;)

I dont claim to be an expert but an 11 footer is not easy to land never mind releasing at the side of the boat. I have never experienced anything over an 8.5 footer.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2006, 07:43:33 PM »

I see, the fish is still in the water but only sort of on the beach,  I was thinking it more dragged right up on the sand and not water.

Thanks Bryan.

You will find that most people that shore fish will not bring the fish right onto shore just because it would be more difficult for both the fish and the person. A 100lb + fish is easier to handle in water than on a beach. If you shore fish wader's are normally a neccesity. Any pictures can be taken in the water.

And as for suspended particles. You ever see rocks tumble down a river because of the current. Sand is much lighter and can stay suspended much longer, and needs less current to stir it up.