Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Early start at Allison  (Read 4858 times)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
Re: Early start at Allison
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2006, 09:21:47 PM »

I forgot to mention - I've experienced so many times when a particular fly pattern is the ticket.  For example, when flyfishing for pinks, it can be a fish a cast - but with the wrong fly - you'll get nothing!  That tells me that the fish do take the fly readily...

Its pretty hard to have the wrong fly isn't it, a pink anything will do.

Yes - you're generally correct.  But sometimes I like to experiment with new patterns that I've tied up.  Some work, some don't.  It sounds crazy, but after hooking fish after fish, I like to change things up to see what's happening and do some experimenting.

I see, gotcha. It doesn't sound crazy to me, you're just enjoying this great sport we do.
Fish on!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Early start at Allison
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2006, 10:06:51 PM »

I see, gotcha. It doesn't sound crazy to me, you're just enjoying this great sport we do.

You got it!  Mind you - those "fish a cast" days don't happen that often (for me anyway)...unless I've found the right chironomid (oh - that's lake fishing  :D).

Here's a fond memory - back in 2003 (oh what a pink year that was), we were flyfishing the Harrison mouth for pinks.  I tried every dang pink fly in my box and - nothing!  Then - I managed to pick out a fly that I tied (as an experiment).  This fly was very simple - all marabou.  The colour was the key.  It was a "cerise" colour as opposed to all the other shades of pink I had in my box.  First cast out with this fly - a few strips - and WHAM!  A nice pink doe comes to hand.  This happened about a dozen more times until the fly disintegrated!  I had one more fly of the same pattern - and after a dozen more fish, that fly was also finished.  I went back to my original pink flies and - nada!