Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pin question  (Read 7731 times)

brad7

Pin question
« on: November 30, 2012, 06:42:22 PM »

So this is my first year with the pin, and I got a few fish under my belt. But I can't figure out if I'm suppose throw my clicker on when I get into a fish or not, all the fish I ve played I have done it in free spool. But I was watching sports fishing bc ( or wut ever the hell it's called now) and I saw those guys throw the clicker on. So is it just personal preference or something else?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Pin question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:51:17 PM »

The clicker is designed to keep the reel from free spooling while hiking or storing the setup. The people who throw the clicker on just are just trying to be cool or are all like, "Look at me I have a fish on"
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:07:06 PM »

I click mine on when I'm about to land the fish, this is only so it doesn't nest up on me... I think I would get annoyed if I heard the clicker every time the fish went for a run!  ;D
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »

The clicker is designed to keep the reel from free spooling while hiking or storing the setup. The people who throw the clicker on just are just trying to be cool or are all like, "Look at me I have a fish on"

Ditto

azafai

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:09:50 PM »

I think it is just a bit saver to put the clicker/drag on and by that prevent any possible accidental tangling or excessive free spooling.

Carich980

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »

I thought the point of center pin was to match you against the fish.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 08:35:26 PM »

you will ruin the clicker eventually if you turn it on when fish runs
Tight lines to all

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:23 PM »

The clicker is also a dinner bell for bears  ;D

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Pin-nook

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 09:05:02 PM »

"Turn on the clicker while playing fish"... :D :D :D :D

The clicker is only engaged when you are not using the reel so that the spool doesn't spin. Look at the design, if you use that while fighting fish then you know it will eventually wear out or even break!

brad7

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »

K thanks. One more thing, as far cleaning and maintance anything I should be doing to my islander cp to keep it mint?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »

K thanks. One more thing, as far cleaning and maintance anything I should be doing to my islander cp to keep it mint?

Best thing to do is keep it clean, try to avoid putting it down in sand is a major one especially because it is a heavily ported reel (lots of holes for sand to get into) Other that than that just wipe it down every couple trips to clean up any borax or what not on it. If I go fishing and it's raining when I get home I make sure to keep the reel pouch off of the reel until everything has dried up as this will help reduce the chance of the moisture damaging anything or causing any problems.

brad7

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »

Wut should I wipe it down with?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »

Clean damp cloth would be fine. I've seen some reels so caked in borax its hard to tell what type of reel it is. It won't really harm the reel but it sure doesn't look very attractive I think. Plus the fact that most pins cost a few hundred dollars, I prefer to take care of my investments.

fishgod

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »

One other thing on cleaning - excessive cleaning will slow down break in time if its a new reel.  Over oiling and greasing will also tend to attract that unwanted grit so...  Absolutely remove the worst of the grunge,  especially old row as that can stink and lead to smells that will turn-off fish.  I also second the comments above around allowing your gear to dry out thoroughly.  Playing a fish with a clicker on is personal preference - and I do love the sound off a reel singing to the tune of a big spring in the salt - but anywhere you find seals it definitely will reduce your chances of a successful catch.
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.

Bandit420

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »

One other thing on cleaning - excessive cleaning will slow down break in time if its a new reel.  Over oiling and greasing will also tend to attract that unwanted grit so...  Absolutely remove the worst of the grunge,  especially old row as that can stink and lead to smells that will turn-off fish.  I also second the comments above around allowing your gear to dry out thoroughly.  Playing a fish with a clicker on is personal preference - and I do love the sound off a reel singing to the tune of a big spring in the salt - but anywhere you find seals it definitely will reduce your chances of a successful catch.

X2 I turn my clicker on when fighting a fish. Reduces back lash, and sounds cool when the fish runs. But its all personal preference.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!