Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Circle Hooks  (Read 1751 times)

JPW

Circle Hooks
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »

I spent some time on a crowded (fish & fishermen) river this morning and gave circle hooks a try.  I tied a couple of my most successful patterns on size 8 hooks, put on a type 3 versi-tip and proceeded to lay casts almost 90 degrees to the travel lane.  I consider myself a decent fisherman and feel confident that I can usually tell the difference between a snag and take.  Circle hooks proved I wasn't nearly as good as I thought.  Each cast I would feel multiple bumps and taps, often mistaking the tap, tap, tap for a take, but when I'd tighten up there was rarely anyone home.  Every ten to fifteen casts or so, I'd feel the line go tight and all I need to do was start reeling, the fish had hooked itself.  Meanwhile anglers around me were pulling in foul hooked and flossed fish every other cast.  In the end it allowed me to feel just how many times I had the potential to foul hook and how few times a fish actually took my presentation.  I would challenge other anglers to take their favourite lure or fly and try it with a circle hook and see how good it really is!

I should add that type 3 is not my line of choice, but it is on the light end of what I see many fly guys tossing so I felt it was good for the test.  Ultimately, thanks to a report from Milo I had the most success with a floating line and a short leader slowly retrieved well above the schools.  This resulted in great takes, fresher fish and more fish than the type 3.  In fact I'm convinced the type 3 only spooked fish through the swing and ended with a hookup on the dangle because of sheer volume of fish pushing upstream (there is always one Darwinian fish in the mix).

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Circle Hooks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »

I should add that type 3 is not my line of choice, but it is on the light end of what I see many fly guys tossing so I felt it was good for the test.  Ultimately, thanks to a report from Milo I had the most success with a floating line and a short leader slowly retrieved well above the schools.  This resulted in great takes, fresher fish and more fish than the type 3. 

Drat! My secret for catching those sprightly chromers is out!  ;)

FWIW, using a floating line is the fly fishing equivalent of short-floating.
Anyone can floss fish with a sinking tip, but the thrill lies in enticing the fish to actually go after the fly.

My next adventure: fishing pinks with dry flies. Coming to a fishing forum near you.  ;D

JPW, I am glad you are experimenting and getting good results. Keep up the good job.  :D

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:24:56 PM »

Excellent report JPW. Hopefully this will raise the awareness amongst more fly fishers.
I specifically stopped fly fishing for chum due to the high incidence of flossed fish and foul hooked fish. Zombie chum tend to move in the upper part of the water column so even floating line doesn't help much.
I may try it again with circle hooks this fall.

slick vic

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:03:01 PM »

I use circle hooks on my tube flies and it turned out to be great. Type 3 works good with none weighted flies. Thx for sharing your thoughts and tips.

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »

See the thread in the Fly Fishing section on fishing in murky water ..........

8)
Try the fly!

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 12:52:19 AM »

My next adventure: fishing pinks with dry flies. Coming to a fishing forum near you.  ;D

Cool. Look forward to the read.

I put your floating line theory to the test today and -- while I didn't catch as many as SnagMaster2000 on my left -- I ended up with a high % of fairly hooked fish (most in the upper jaw, some "inhaled" flies, etc). Much more pleasant than my ~50% foul-hookup rate with the spoon last week. First time fishing salmon on the fly, actually; it was a blast.

Wish they sold flies tied on circle hooks in the tackle shops I frequent :( Nothing more annoying than a fin-hooked salmon...
A rig out of water catches no fish.